• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Applique Technique

WildWestDesigns

If I'm understanding the article correctly, it sounds like it works along the lines of puff foam with regard to the tearing away function.

Does that mean that digitizing with this type of material also requires the same density and underlay parameters as well to ensure a clean tearing of this material like what is required with puff?

Mike_Koval

a standard satin stitch should be fine.

You wont need to add any additional pull comp because the media isn't as thick as the puff material.

WildWestDesigns

a standard satin stitch should be fine.

You wont need to add any additional pull comp because the media isn't as thick as the puff material.

I'm actually more concerned about how easily it tears away cleanly when the needle penetrations are doing the perforating, which is handled by density of the top stitch (and underlay as well).

Dennis422

So we are more then likely looking at the same density and underlay requirements as puff (even more or less depending on the size needle used).

I think that you should be OK with density less than for a 3D Puff. This is a lot thinner and softer material than the 3D foam.
Something in between your regular and 3D density should work.
I use Pulse and I have learned with metric settings, so whatever -1.0 density translates to, you should be OK with that.

WildWestDesigns

I think that you should be OK with density less than for a 3D Puff. This is a lot thinner and softer material than the 3D foam.
Something in between your regular and 3D density should work.
I use Pulse and I have learned with metric settings, so whatever -1.0 density translates to, you should be OK with that.

Thickness isn't the issue. It's perforating to where it's a clean edge, that's where the density settings come in for your top stitch and underlay. Pull comp handles the thickness. How excessive you make your pull comp would depend on the thickness of what your applying.

The reason why I'm harping on this is because 90% of my applique needs are directly related to baby apparel and were stitch count really needs to be kept low (especially when combined with baby apparel). That's my hold back.

Dennis422

Thickness isn't the issue. It's perforating to where it's a clean edge, that's where the density settings come in for your top stitch and underlay. Pull comp handles the thickness. How excessive you make your pull comp would depend on the thickness of what your applying.

The reason why I'm harping on this is because 90% of my applique needs are directly related to baby apparel and were stitch count really needs to be kept low (especially when combined with baby apparel). That's my hold back.

I did not mean the thickness of the satin stitch. I meant the thickens of the glitter material.
I understand that you get the cleaner edge with more density, but I do not think that you need your density to be as high as the one for a puff foam.

I have some glitter in my shop and I will give it a try tonight.

stoliker

shorten the length of the tack down stitch. Tear the material away then and allow the satin stitch to cover up the tear line and the tack down stitch.

WildWestDesigns

I did not mean the thickness of the satin stitch. I meant the thickens of the glitter material.

I know what you meant.

I shouldn't have used the analogy of puff foam, the focus is on the wrong characteristic of foam. The only similar thing with puff and this is the fact that they both are "tear away" which is accomplished through needle penetrations. The more you have, the cleaner the perforation.

That is it. I'm not trying to suggest that they have the same thickness at all. I'm afraid that's what people are taking from it as that's the characteristic most people think of with puff (which is understandable).

Pull comp (and density) actually doesn't add width to the satin stitch. Think of pull comp as a bleed area for a printed document. Sometimes without having a bleed, you can get white edges. Same thing with pull comp. Your objects may not be the same size/shape without having that "bleed".

I have some glitter in my shop and I will give it a try tonight.

Please, I know I seem like a pain (putting it mildly I'm sure), but I am interested in this.

Is there anyway that you can give me the difference in a %? Pulse operates differently then Wilcom and it's been a long time since I've used Pulse to remember everything.

Dennis422

shorten the length of the tack down stitch. Tear the material away then and allow the satin stitch to cover up the tear line and the tack down stitch.

You would have to have two rows of the tack down.
Outside one to cut the material, and the inside one to still keep the material in place.
1.5-2mm stitch length should work for that.

Dennis422

Wild, I will let you know if I manage to try it out tonight.
If not tonight, I will as soon as I do it.

WildWestDesigns

Wild, I will let you know if I manage to try it out tonight.
If not tonight, I will as soon as I do it.

I appreciate it. Email me what you find out.

stoliker: DK beat me to it. A tack down stitch by itself wouldn't be enough, even with a shortened stitch length. Especially when I would be using an E stitch tack down (easier on the skin). But even the more traditional zig zag, it's iffy.

Dennis422

Here it is West.
About 30%-40% more density than a regular satin column. That is what I used. You can get away with less.
Looks good and easy to rip off.

Attachments

• GlitterTest.jpg
    GlitterTest.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 128

binki

We have used a material similar to this. Don't add density to the stitch. Just do what you would have done had you had a regular fill stitch where the tearaway is.