• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

new blades drive me crazy!!!!

gabagoo

The one thing I have always disliked doing is having to put a new blade in the cutter. I don't care what they cost it is trying to fine tune it so that you can weed fast and easily. These blades are so dang sharp when they are new I can't seem to get the right pressure. I can run test after test and when I think I have it just right I start cutting and you can hear the sucker cutting to deep. I almost widh we could buy slightly used blades lol

stickerguynyc

what kind of cutter do you have? in my graphtec i set force to 15 with a new blade and set up more when it get used more 16 and up..

also check your cutting strip the bottom part where the blade cut on...see if still smooth or have scratches and need to replace

animenick65

I have the same issue at times. Too much depth/pressure and it scores the backing paper too much, leaving paper on the back of vinyl when you peel it away. Too little and it doesn't weed right. After a few weeks of cutting they seem to get to where I want them.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
If your setting the pressure on the plotter itself, make sure your not overriding it when sending the cut info from the software side.

gabagoo

its all machine set. But it is like the blades are a little to sharp and need to be dulled a bit. It takes about a few hours of cutting to get them where they are cooperating

Ponto

:omg2:...first post I've read this am and am wondering if this topic should be taken seriously... :doh:

JP

BobM

I'm at the point where I change the cut strip and the blade at the same time to be sure I get an even cut accross the full width of the cutter. Seems like a lot but with the $26 strip and the Clean Cut Blades, I can cut for months using Oracal 751 & 851 at 90 grams on my Roland Camm 1. You might put a drop of WD40 on the blade shank before putting it in the holder to lubricate it.

gabagoo

so typically the first thing I have to cut with this blade is 3m 2ml. Set it and tested a small lower case E, weeded fine. Start cutting and sure as chit you can hear that paper sound as it cuts. Oh well I wait it out. Look at the back of the paper and you can see the impression. I think OK well it wont be hard to weed at least. Man was I wrong. It's weird like it made an impression through the backing paper but I have to struggle with every letter...and it's DOM casual which is one of the easiest to weed.

rm25x

Yep I know what you mean. Blade depth in the tool holder seems to be the most important factor I am finding. I cut a lot of lettering that is 0.020" and it weeds fine as long as I have the depth set correctly.

gabagoo

:omg2:...first post I've read this am and am wondering if this topic should be taken seriously... :doh:

JP

Every topic I post is serious!!! well not really and this one is just a minor annoyance. I like to post this stuff because I am curious if it is just me or if this stuff happens to others. Now as to the teflon strip!!!! This has got to be the strangest issue with this particular machine. When you have to change it the teflon seperates from the adhesive and you can spend about 30 minutes or so trying to get the stuff off. I have found that if I slowly rub my index finger along it will lift it and 8 layers of skin by the time I have finished. Anybody have a foolproof way of removing the strip and the adhesive at the same time?....anybody?

BobM

Just like vinyl removal, a little heat and it comes up mostly clean. A little Rapid Remove on a rag and it's done.

ZsVinylInc

Set it and tested a small lower case E, weeded fine.

I am not familiar with the Graphtec machines so I am just wondering. Doesn't it have a test cut pattern? Most of the machines that I have ever used have a test cut you can perform right from the machine itself which is usually a square with a circle inside of it. If you can peal the square away from the circle the you are fine. Then I peal up the circle and run my nail across the backing to make sure you haven't cut too deep and the backing is slit....Your nail or finger would feel it.

Now with my machine I have learned and maybe it is just with this current blade I have as I need to get it replaced but once I do my test pattern and it is set good for some reason when it does the actual cutting it likes to be set at another 10-15 grams higher. So I usually set it up with the test cut then add more pressure.

gabagoo

I do have the test cut and I use it. It is a triangle within a square and I use that for day to day if I am unsure of how the machine is running, but with a new blade I like to actually cut a lower case e in a helvetica light font. The test within the machine cuts really fast and I think it bypasses the regular cut info that I want the machine to run at, so I am not 100% trusting of it for a new blade.

S'N'S

After installing a new blade in the holder, I usually adjust the blade so I can JUST feel the tip protruding. I then hold the blade holder vertical and drag it in a small circular motion over some scrap vinyl, make sure it weeds ok and that its just marking the backing not cutting into it. Replace holder and adjust down-force if needed. (depends on what brand of vinyl or if its calendered or cast)
I have got 3 years from my current teflon strip and it still only has a few small cuts in it.

Jim Doggett

Hi Gabagoo,

It sounds like your cutter is the problem; maybe a slight warp in the platten. A bit of excessive mishandling in shipping can cause that or it it's be dropped, etc.

A fresh blade and getting the depth/pressure right is training wheels stuff. It shouldn't be that hard, and definitely, a new sharp blade should be better, not worse. Somthing's not right, IMO.

gabagoo

Hi Gabagoo,

It sounds like your cutter is the problem; maybe a slight warp in the platten. A bit of excessive mishandling in shipping can cause that or it it's be dropped, etc.

A fresh blade and getting the depth/pressure right is training wheels stuff. It shouldn't be that hard, and definitely, a new sharp blade should be better, not worse. Somthing's not right, IMO.

no the machine is fine, it just may be these aftermarket blades. Thye are extremely sharp. Once I get them a little dull I can run them in excess of 7 or 8 months at a time.

Malkin

no the machine is fine, it just may be these aftermarket blades. Thye are extremely sharp. Once I get them a little dull I can run them in excess of 7 or 8 months at a time.

I have the same exact issue with the swivel blades for our Gerber HS15 plus. I get the good Gerber blades, and they are so sharp, that the vinyl is harder to weed at first, even set to a good pressure.

I have theorized that the cutting swath is so razor thin, that glue starts to bond back together because it was not separated enough. In the end, it sorts itself after a couple weeks and I end up using the blade for 9-12 months, unless I accidentally leave it in to cut reflective.

gabagoo

I have a Summa d140 for strictly cutting digital prints and decals and have not even changed the blade once since having it for 3 years!!!!