Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new email virus

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by binki, May 18, 2010.

1. binki

binki Premium Subscriber

Jul 23, 2007
    The PRC
    subject line: 'please look my cv' with an attachment. virus city.

Tags:
  2. signgal

signgal Very Active Member

Dec 29, 2009
    thanks for the heads up

3. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    I've been getting alot that say "your shipment has been processed" or some such nonesense, both from amazon and UPS

4. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    Also, resume attached. Always a zip file which has a exe file inside of it. Any way of looking at a zip file without actually opening it

My elderly parents (naive) got hit with a ups shipment email and double clicked

5. webguru

webguru Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Indiana
    Download the file then scan with something like AVG. If it finds something, just send to virus vault.

6. binki

binki Premium Subscriber

Jul 23, 2007
    The PRC
    we get the ups ones also but they dont have my email address so i know it is false.

7. G-Artist

G-Artist Active Member

Jan 25, 2010
    My default to open ZIP, 7z, SIT and RAR is my WinRAR program.

I can see everything inside the compressed file even if it is in multiple individual
    file (001, 002, etc.) It will also allow me to drill down into folders within the
    file where I can read the text or whatever w/o having to open the file.

If I DL'd a movie, I also have a utility that will play that first segment of
    a multiple compressed file and that's let's me know if it is worth getting the
    rest of the files in that series.

For safety sake, folks should look into using a program that allows the viewing
    of their e-mail while it is still on the server. I use Mail Washer (an old version)
    but there are many others. Delete the ones that you don't want (spam)
    and then download all the rest.

DO NOT rely on your AV program catching the virus until the EXE has been
    opened. I have used all the major AVbrands and find if you tell the AV to 'check'
    the executable while it is just sitting in a folder that most will not find a problem.
    Once you click on the executable then the AV jumps in and blocks it if it is infected.
    That is because the first thing that happens is the virus/malware uses portions of
    memory it isn't supposed to. Your AV will even block a poorly written legit. progam
    that does that (false positive).

8. Sign Works

Sign Works Very Active Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Odd that this should be mentioned today, today I recieved an e-mail disguised as if it were from DHL about a missed shipment, the e-mail contains a zipped file labeled as DHL Tracking Number, the e-mail is not even addressed to my e-mail address.

9. G-Artist

G-Artist Active Member

Jan 25, 2010
    I have gotten at least 20 in the past week purportedly from UPS, DHL and USPS.

Those come and go in spurts.

Last Nov. and Dec. they came in droves. I think lots of folks opened them thinking
    X-Mas parcels were going astray.