• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

new email virus

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Also, resume attached. Always a zip file which has a exe file inside of it. Any way of looking at a zip file without actually opening it

My elderly parents (naive) got hit with a ups shipment email and double clicked

G-Artist

Also, resume attached. Always a zip file which has a exe file inside of it. Any way of looking at a zip file without actually opening it

My elderly parents (naive) got hit with a ups shipment email and double clicked

My default to open ZIP, 7z, SIT and RAR is my WinRAR program.

I can see everything inside the compressed file even if it is in multiple individual
file (001, 002, etc.) It will also allow me to drill down into folders within the
file where I can read the text or whatever w/o having to open the file.

If I DL'd a movie, I also have a utility that will play that first segment of
a multiple compressed file and that's let's me know if it is worth getting the
rest of the files in that series.

For safety sake, folks should look into using a program that allows the viewing
of their e-mail while it is still on the server. I use Mail Washer (an old version)
but there are many others. Delete the ones that you don't want (spam)
and then download all the rest.

DO NOT rely on your AV program catching the virus until the EXE has been
opened. I have used all the major AVbrands and find if you tell the AV to 'check'
the executable while it is just sitting in a folder that most will not find a problem.
Once you click on the executable then the AV jumps in and blocks it if it is infected.
That is because the first thing that happens is the virus/malware uses portions of
memory it isn't supposed to. Your AV will even block a poorly written legit. progam
that does that (false positive).

Sign Works

Odd that this should be mentioned today, today I recieved an e-mail disguised as if it were from DHL about a missed shipment, the e-mail contains a zipped file labeled as DHL Tracking Number, the e-mail is not even addressed to my e-mail address.

G-Artist

I have gotten at least 20 in the past week purportedly from UPS, DHL and USPS.

Those come and go in spurts.

Last Nov. and Dec. they came in droves. I think lots of folks opened them thinking
X-Mas parcels were going astray.