• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

*** new HANDiBOT from shopbot ***

John Butto

That looks really neat! Especially with the rail.

Didn't have time to read the whole page, but are these available for order now? Looks like their goals were met/exceeded months ago.

"Handibot was funded by a Kickstarter campaign and the first tools off the production line will go to people who contributed to that. ShopBot expects to begin taking new orders late this fall. The machine will initially be priced at about $2,400 but the company hopes that number will float down over the next few years."

skyhigh

I would not trust a Shopbot on anything you could not replace due to machine error...

I "think" player means....setting this cnc on top of a finished piece (I'm envisioning an end-table), and letting it rout an oak leaf design in the top. Should it screw up, the table is scrap.

my best guess.

letterman7

I "think" player means....setting this cnc on top of a finished piece (I'm envisioning an end-table), and letting it rout an oak leaf design in the top. Should it screw up, the table is scrap.

my best guess.

Sounds like an accurate guess, but as someone who has a 'Bot and has worked with other CNC routers, any one of them could have an "error" at any time. I love my Bot. It may not be the quickest thing in the world, but does everything I ask it to do.

But I'm not seeing anything to do with ShopBot. There is nothing on their website that mentions this. Since it's a Kickstarter project I seriously doubt that SB would go that route - they already have their in-house development and funding programs in place.

skyhigh

This "HandBot" reminds me of a Gerber Edge. Looks like a wonderful machine....for a very specific end user.

The SBot is not always reliable. Yes I own one. Check the forum if you don't believe me.

I don't think anyone is saying they "don't believe ya"..... but I don't want to search forumn's to see what type of problems you're having either. Any specifics, or a link where you posted your problem? Perhaps someone has experienced similar problems.....but your vague comments don't help a bit.

just curious....and trying to be helpful.

MikePro

this thing reminds me of that portable engraver from MiIII. From the part in the movie where they were swapping room#'s in the hotel in Dubai.

Only thing I like about it, besides portability, is the ability to route a vertical surface.
but for $2500+, I'd rather just use a Dremel. ...My router table will most definitely keep this player on the bench.

fixtureman

The SBot is not always reliable. Yes I own one. Check the forum if you don't believe me.

What errors are you experiencing. I have checked the SBot forum and do see some problems but all CNC's can have problems from time to time. I sometimes run a Biesse and even that will error out or have a hiccup and cut a part wrong even after cutting 100 of that part.

artbot

shopbots? i can't kill mine. it's been stored in a tent and been rained on several times by being too close to the end and it still boots and cuts no problem. no errors, no break downs (except for two $3 capacitors in the last 20 years). i don't know what it takes for this thing to let me down for just one day.

Joe Crumley

O, Jees, don't get me started.

I had one for five years and had to wrench it all the time. These come in a kit form. Nothing on a CNC should be bolted together. It all depends on your criteria. For me I make money by production.

skyhigh

I had one for five years and had to wrench it all the time. These come in a kit form. Nothing on a CNC should be bolted together. It all depends on your criteria. For me I make money by production.

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com

do you own a welder? See how easy some problems are solved!!! :Big Laugh

fixtureman

Yeah I know that it is bolted together and you think it couldn't produce anything worth while but I think Gene Crain would agree that the Shopbot is a workhorse.

fixtureman

Yes he did and it was from China. He also runs it side by side with his Vintage Shopbot and he says they run about the same. The new one was cheaper than a new Shopbot and a lot cheaper then any of the ones from the states.

player

The China iron runs better. He may not come out and say that on the SB forum though. He runs the China iron 1st.

skyhigh

The China iron runs better. He may not come out and say that on the SB forum though. He runs the China iron 1st.
Key word here (fixtureman) is "Vintage". I wonder how it would compare with a NEW SB? The reason I bring this up.... SB #3 that was manufactured, is sitting about 18 miles away from me, and used daily. The owner of that machine does some amazing work with it, but compared to mine....well, there is no comparison. (like comparing a 1975 Gremblin to a 2013 Mustang).

John L

I own and love my Bots but I couldn't get behind the handibot.. it just looks like a functional nightmare for zeroing, registering, hold down (the unit, not the material this time) and cutting anything bigger than a pack of cigarettes. It's like the Zoolander cellphone, we don't need that small. I also think I may be faster than that little laminate router with my chisel and a jigsaw.

Techman

CNC technology is changing by the day. There are people all over the place tinkering with new technology getting costs down. Some of us are building machines literally out of a hardware store.

There are people doing 3D Metal printing now. One person printed an operating hand gun.

Home built machines are approaching parity with name brand machines using professional grade motors, drivers and Ethernet connected controllers. The limitations are in the amount of money one wants to spend.

My simple home built has two X axis, has provisions for the 4th axis, uses high speed stepper motors and professional level controllers. And yes it has a center finder and and height locator.