• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New hard drive for laptop

shakey0818

I have a 1 or 2 year old toshiba satslite c655 laptop that i got from a friend.it is out of warrenty and the hard drive is broken.My question is that i do not have a back up disk.How can i install the new hard drive and make it in the out of box state?I have many laptops so this isn't really that important,i just want to fix it and donate it .

Thanks,Shakey

visual800

Take out broke HD and place in new one and have cd in drive to load windows and then update the computers and get all drivers on it

shakey0818

Take out broke HD and place in new one and have cd in drive to load windows and then update the computers and get all drivers on it

I don't have a cd to load in it.I do have a back up disk from a older toshiba but i doubt that will work.

royster13

After you put in the new hard drive, install a new operating system....But as I am sure you are already thinking, this will cost you more than it is worth....

royster13

When I tried to do this with my Toshiba, I was told the hard drive had to be the same as the original hard drive.....Because I could not buy an exact replacement I was out of luck.....

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
You were talking to someone who did not know what they were talking about..... Only thing you have to be sure of is the type of hard drive - its either ide or sata. Brand does not matter in the least and size might only be an issue if you are trying to put a very high capacity drive in a pretty old laptop.

When I tried to do this with my Toshiba, I was told the hard drive had to be the same as the original hard drive.....Because I could not buy an exact replacement I was out of luck.....

round man

Sightline is correct,...most of those models used a toshiba sata laptop disk drive,and they were notorious for failing,...go get a sata laptop drive and snap it in...as for the operating system ,An easy fix to not having a disk is to load the same version of windows listed on the genuine windows operating sticker on the bottom of the computer with the serial key listed ,...most of the c655 laptops use windows 7 home premium 64 bit for which you'll need a microsoft disk,...or upgrade disk to install it. These run $120 new so if you know anyone with a disk and or can borrow one I would advise it,...use the same serial key as on the decal on the bottom of the laptop and activate the windows 7 operating system,...then go to toshiba support site for that exact model and download all the drivers and utilities for that model and install them,..this should put the laptop in out of the box state,...have fun heheheheheheheh

SunnyD69

Download the version of windows you have from the internet some where and just punch in the serial that is on the windows sticker on the computer. boom back to stock. Its not stealing if you have a serial for the version you are downloading. Good luck

J Hill Designs

Download the version of windows you have from the internet some where and just punch in the serial that is on the windows sticker on the computer. boom back to stock. Its not stealing if you have a serial for the version you are downloading. Good luck

This didnt work when I tried it...even called microsoft to have them activate, they said it was an improper installation

Mike F

Since that'll probably involve using some kind of p2p network (unless for some reason you have a usenet account), even if it wasn't stealing (which it probably still legally is), it's pirating. While you're downloading it you're also sending the file(s) to a bunch of people that probably don't have serials.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
You would need to find an OEM version to use the key on the machine. Retail versions will not work with OEM keys and vice versa. Even though it's the same operating system....

shakey0818

Thanks guys for the suggestions.I was told by Toshiba that the operating systems disks is different for each hard drive even if it's the same kind.They told me to buy a new hard drive and a new operating system.I will try to get a windows 7 disk from my hardware guy,i think i may even have one i have to look .Thanks again for your suggestions.

kffernandez

Thanks guys for the suggestions.I was told by Toshiba that the operating systems disks is different for each hard drive even if it's the same kind.They told me to buy a new hard drive and a new operating system.I will try to get a windows 7 disk from my hardware guy,i think i may even have one i have to look .Thanks again for your suggestions.

they are pretty much screwing you. :Oops:
i'm no expert on Windows oem licenses. but i think it's pretty safe to say that it is ludicrous that upon having your hard disk crash, you are then required by toshiba to buy a new windows license along with the new hard disk.

well, of course, this is irrelevant if your computer didn't actually come with an oem license.

kelly

royster13

New Egg has Windows 7.0 Home Premiums 64 Bit SP1 OEM for 79.99 until midnight Sunday....

As far as getting screwed, I agree.....But Microsoft has such a foot hold they can do almost anything they want with their licencing terms on OEM....

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Toshiba lied to you. Flat out. Go to the link I gave you above to Toshiba's site. Order the recovery discs for the laptop. Hop on eBay and grab this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380417337465 It's an actual Toshiba brand drive if that makes you feel better or get a used working hard drive for it on eBay or new of some other brand or capacity. I looked up a C655 and it looks to have come with a 250GB drive. Install the hard drive, boot it from the recovery disc you get from Toshiba. It will NOT care in the least what brand/model/serial number is for the hard drive.

Now - PRE-ACTIVATED OEM Windows installs ARE tied to a specific brand/model of computer but NOT to the specific machine, serial number, etc. Manufacturers use a function of the motherboards BIOS to add a bit of code called a SLIC then build a check into the specific OEM install version - this is a customized OEM Windows install disc. All that checks for is that the motherboard is the correct model and has the correct SLIC. It is not specific to your machine though - someone with the same model of laptop could let you use their recovery disc and it will install perfectly fine on yours. Additionally custom pre-actived OEM installs do not promt for the Windows

There is the other type of OEM Windows install disc as well which is un-modified. It is just not pre-activated. When you install from one of those you will be prompted for the key on the sticker on the laptop and you will also be prompted to activate Windows once it's up and running (which is fine to do).

round man

I have fixed three of these laptops in as many months recently,..all three had a toshiba brand 250gb drive go bad. On all three I used my own personal windows 7 home premium upgrade disk and things went just fine as long as I used the serial key on the sticker on the laptop and my 64 bit disk from my upgrade set. The only hassle was downloading forty eleven drivers and utilities then installing them from toshiba,...the process takes about 2 to three hours once you have all the parts in front of you,.....

edited to add,....I did not replace the drives with toshiba brand drives as a matter of fact.

RobbyMac

I feel your pain. Had a toshiba laptop once... Went through 3 drives in a period of about 5 years with it. Horrible imo. Each time I had like 3 different sized toshiba drives to choose from. The disc that came with it would supposedly detect if something was amiss. While I did (unsuccessfully) try to use the disc in another laptop, I never risked a different manufacturer drive in the Toshiba. Laptop was great... drives, not so much.