• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

new laptop cant see files on my external drive

gabagoo

this new laptop i have cant seem to read the music files off my external drive.

I know they are there as itunes sees them, but when i double click on any folder they all show empty, yet if you check the properties you see 12 gig or whatever the file size is.

got my son to look on his laptop and he said they are all hidden, he unhid one folder for me, but in my laptop i have no such option to unhide

any idea what the heck is happening

choucove

Try to change the folder options to show all hidden files. In Windows 7, with the folder window open, select the menu Organize and then click "Folder and search options." Click on the View tab, and in the middle of that screen you should see a radio button for "Show hidden files, folders, and drives." Select this option to be able to view all hidden objects, and then click OK.

If all of the folders are actually hidden, this should now allow you to see them. You can right click on a folder that is hidden, go to Properties, and there should now be a checkbox at the bottom that says Hidden that you can uncheck.

Mike F

thank you very much just wondering how they became hidden in the first place

Probably just because you're using a new laptop, Windows is set to hide hidden files by default. Those files and folders were probably already flagged as hidden, but the Windows install you were using before was probably set to show hidden files, if that makes any sense.