• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Merchant Member Introducing myself.

PanelSaws

Greetings sign makers. My name is Paul Stone. I am from the Seattle area, actually just north of Tacoma, in Federal Way, WA.
I recently joined as a merchant member. I manufacture a hardware kit for a DIY panel saw. They say that necessity is the mother of invention. My wife was insisting that I remodel her kitchen and I needed a panel saw. I work as a research engineer by day designing equipment for testing new processes for building really big airplanes. I didn't want to spend $3,000 for a panel saw and I thought they were way too big, so I designed and built my own. It was good enough that I decided to patent the thing.

Crop Marks bought one in Feb. of 2013 and suggested that I join as a merchant member. I finally took his advise.

You can watch a video of the panel saw in action at my web site: http://panelsawsrus.com/

Thanks

Panelsaws

Speedsterbeast

Looks like it's well made. If you can make a dust-free polymetal attachment or make someone else's fit that thing I'd buy one and send you a bottle of Canadian Whisky.

Although for a couple extra bucks plywood would look so much better than osb

PanelSaws

Yup, it rips and cross cuts and more.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes, it will rip and cross cut. I have even cut circles on this saw. (You drill a hole in the center of the work piece and place a bolt through it and the back and just start cutting the corners off. It takes a couple of minutes.)

I need to find a good way to attach a knife to this saw. I think sign makers could use that.

Panelsaws

Christian @ 2CT Media

Yes, an adjustable drag knife utilizing standard utility blades would be awesome. Also a clamp for lightweight materials like styrene would be nice.

I'm really interested in this panel kit, seriously considering getting one and welding up a collapsible metal frame.

PanelSaws

Looks like it's well made. If you can make a dust-free polymetal attachment or make someone else's fit that thing I'd buy one and send you a bottle of Canadian Whisky.

Although for a couple extra bucks plywood would look so much better than osb

I have added dust collection to my saw. I covered the side of the saw where the blade is exposed with polycarbonate and drilled a 1.5" hole in the polycarb and put a tail piece from a garbage disposal through the hole. A 1.5" vacuum hose fits it nicely and it gets over 90% of the dust even when cutting MDF.

I am working on adapting the kit to fit a Paulk Workbench. Now that would be sweet.

Speedsterbeast

I have added dust collection to my saw. I covered the side of the saw where the blade is exposed with polycarbonate and drilled a 1.5" hole in the polycarb and put a tail piece from a garbage disposal through the hole. A 1.5" vacuum hose fits it nicely and it gets over 90% of the dust even when cutting MDF.

I am working on adapting the kit to fit a Paulk Workbench. Now that would be sweet.

When I say "dust free" I'm referring to a wheeled cutter such as a Fletcher. It has rolling wheels to cut the polymetal, although the Sawtrax design ACM cutter would be much closer to yours
If you could adapt something like this to it, you'd multiply your market here ten fold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dNsQjckb7I

Christian @ 2CT Media

How has that problem been solved?

There are lots of materials that a rotating saw tooth blade doesn't provide the cleanest cut to in the sign industry like a drag or rotary pressure knife does.