• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Monitor-Any Suggestions

wedosigns

I am looking to buy a new monitor for designing. I am looking for some suggestions to what to look for and what to avoid.
I will be using it mostly with adobe illy and ps, some corel draw.
What I really am looking for is something with good predictable color on output from my roland sc500.
Thanks Bruce

WildWestDesigns

The monitor that I use for Ai, Corel, Wilcom is the Cintiq 21UX. It does very well rendering color that matches with my sublimation printer using the ColorSure Palette, however, I don't know how well it will render color compared to output to the SC500.

But for work in Ai, DRAW and Wilcom (which is a combination of DRAW (full X5 version) and embroidery design) you cannot beat direct input on the screen like the Cintiq. But that's just my opinion.

wedosigns

Thanks WILDWESTDESIGNS for the suggestion. That monitor looks amazing. A tablet and monitor in one, I think it may be out of my skill level for now, and the price, WOW!
Colin has chosen a really nice monitor, but I am trying to find out what else is out there as I have had no luck with dell products. Chev vs Fords, lol.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Thanks WILDWESTDESIGNS for the suggestion. That monitor looks amazing. A tablet and monitor in one, I think it may be out of my skill level for now, and the price, WOW!
Colin has chosen a really nice monitor, but I am trying to find out what else is out there as I have had no luck with dell products. Chev vs Fords, lol.

If you've been buying consumer-level products, then I'm not surprised.

But Dell also has another level of product. Dell servers, workstations and Ultrasharp Monitors are of a higher quality and quite reliable in my experience.

For instance, the weight of regular Dell 22" monitor is featherlight compared to the 22" UltraSharps that I have. And that's just one thing...

wedosigns

The Vectordoctor
Yes I have been looking for ips monitors, but with hdmi.I really do not know what kind of advantage it is over dvi, but it is what is suggested.
Do you have an opinion?
Thanks Bruce

oldgoatroper

The Vectordoctor
Yes I have been looking for ips monitors, but with hdmi.I really do not know what kind of advantage it is over dvi, but it is what is suggested.
Do you have an opinion?
Thanks Bruce

Both DVI and HDMI are digital -- so no real diff between them except for the type of cable.

HDMI also carries digital audio, but that's of no concern when you're going to a graphics monitor...

choucove

I'm not really a fan of Dell stuff either (I've fixed more Dell laptops and desktops than just about anything else in the last four years of my computer business.) However, their monitors are something completely different. The professional monitors and ultra sharp monitors are beyond anything else that I have compared them with, especially at their price range. We have ordered dozens of the Dell Professional monitors, and several of the UltraSharp models for our sign shop, and never have had an issue with one.

HDMI is, as explained above, pretty much equivalent to DVI the only difference being that it carries across audio as well. In some situations, I've actually seen HDMI have weaker display characteristics than when connected by DVI. If you're looking for the best design connection, you will probably be interested in Display Port, not HDMI. Display Port is becoming the industry standard for ultra high definition connection with professional devices. Hence why most professional nVidia Quadro and AMD FirePro graphics cards have DisplayPort outputs, and why most professional IPS displays have DisplayPort inputs.

WildWestDesigns

Both DVI and HDMI are digital -- so no real diff between them except for the type of cable.

HDMI also carries digital audio, but that's of no concern when you're going to a graphics monitor...

If I recall correctly, you actually have analog and Digital DVI cables. The Cintiq came with adapters for 2 different types of DVI connections.

Passage of audio though is the only difference that I would be concerned with the difference between DVI and HDMI.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you get one with the hdmi port and built in speakers you can plug your xbox directly into it without an adapter.

wayne k
guam usa

oldgoatroper

Dell UltraSharp U2410

Well, there ya go.... The 2410 is on sale this week in Canada at Dell's site. Same monitor that Colin just bought and same one that our production manager just got. It appears they're both quite happy with them.

I have a pair of Dell UltraSharps at home. They are awesome monitors -- especially when they are on sale...