• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New & needing help

bafremin

Hello, from good ole’ Cajun Country! Signs used to be my passion, I loved hand lettering, & was pretty good for being self taught. Made good (cash on the side)money while in high school and college. Now those days have ended and I purchased a vinyl cutter and a digital printer & did that for a while, but I ended up back at work in the family business. I am a fourth generation Local Grocery store. So I am not completely new to sign making. We had a fire back in March and are still in the process of rebuilding. I have all my own ideas for my interior design. Got some pricing on different signage and digital wrapping.(For the prices I decided I would just buy my own printer) So I think I would like to purchase my own printer to do it myself. I was wanting some input on what is the best kind I should look into. Latex, inkjet, eco-solvent? Please if someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it! Thanks

fresh

you're going to get a lot of push back asking that question here. not only that, its not just the cost of the printer, but the ink, media, computer, designer. You need a large enough area to hold your equipment and a space to actually make the signs. sign production isn't a bigger version of your desktop printer.

i'd advise you to find a reputable sign shop in your area and make friends with them. i know i'd give a decent discount to someone who constantly needs my services and is loyal to me.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
If you would have left out the part about cutting out a sign shop to do your own signs in house....you probably would've received a lot of help.

This subject comes up every day, look through the old threads and use the search feature.

Good luck with your venture.

bafremin

I understand, I was expecting some negative feedback. I have the space, i have added an extra addition that is 25' Wide x 35' Long x 18' Tall, which includes a Roll up door that is 12' x 12'. so space is not an issue. I am not overly concerned on the price of media, and ink. My only concern would be maintaining it between uses. I would continue to use is to possible print, POS, floor graphics for shoppers, etc. I also own two fuel stations that i would use it to print POS and prices on specials that I run. Thanks for your input. But it is still an avenue that i would like to continue to pursue.

P.S. - I am a local business owner in a small town, we don't have any hometown print shops anymore. We only have one chain sign shop, an office depot, & UPS store. So I would be outsourcing to other places (roughly 50 miles away). I really believe in trying to keep my money local. I'm sorry if this offended anyone, and having them think I want to cut out the sign shops.

Thanks again to anyone who is offering to help.

Last edited:

Martin Denton

Im from the UK so you are not nicking any of my business but the reality is that unless you are using your printer for several hours everyday you will run into serious maintenance problems. Frankly the money you think you will save will be multiplied many times over in running and maintenance and investment costs.
Even full time sign makers are always advised to build their market up first before they invest the thousands in a printer. If you buy second hand you are just buying someone elses problem without the time or knowledge to fix it.

As previously advised, build a relationship with a printer as near as you can get to your location and negotiate good discounts in return for regular orders. If you want to save money make the artwork files ready to print so all they have to do is recieve them via the internet and run them straight through their printer. That will count a lot for negotiating a discount...​

bafremin

Thanks for your input, (never thought about it that way). Designing my own prints and building a relationship with a great sign shop. I would love to open my own sign shop with my own equipment, but the reality for me is time. Can I really run a sign shop plus my other businesses? Thanks again for your advise.

Martin Denton

Your welcome, I would suggest you check with the chosen print shop as to what format and spec they require the files in so they dont have to touch them. We normally use Illustrator and if we ever send work externally convert the fonts to outlines - MS Publisher and Word doesnt cut it lol

bafremin

Thanks, I mostly use Corel Draw (only because i'm self taught and became really good with it), then i taught myself Illustrator because it seamed to be the one that everyone else was using. Lol! Thanks again, I wasn't expecting too many people to help out, but I am glad that i joined the forum, and I already became a paid member!!! :D:D:D:D:D

ams

You are going to get a lot of different answers for printers. A lot of us have only owned one brand or one type of printer, so what is all we will recommend. Some prefer the newest on the market, some prefer the older ones.
But it really comes down to what you are trying to do. I am a fan of Eco-Solvent, because it can be printed on most materials. Some people prefer UV or Latex due to drying times, but are limited in some areas for material type. All have pros and cons. So you need to figure out what you are going to use the printer for.

Corel Draw is what you want for the program.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you don't mind..... what are your other businesses and why will they interfere with the sign department ??

Johnny Best

I think he said family-owned grocery store. He mentioned doing the signs for that business.
I say, good luck in your endeavors and maybe have a large sign shop for the area and make some decent money.
As far as printers, you live in Cajun country, Chevy, Ford or Dodge? Whatever pulls that duckboat outta the water for you will work.

SignsSupport

Support & Tech Administrator
Welcome to the community bafremin. Sorry to hear about the fire. I hope the rebuilding process is going smoothly.
Lots of helpful info shared in the Signs101 forums. Hope you enjoy your stay.

SignsSupport

bafremin

Thanks to everyone for their input! I am in a family owned grocery/furniture store(I know it’s an odd combination) I’m fourth generation, but I also own two convenient stores and a couple of firework stands (which is just a seasonal business) two times a year, Christmas/NewYear Season which is 2.5 weeks & 4th of July season which is about 12 days. But i’ll be doing a bit more research and possibly open a sign shop! I have a lot more to learn before taking that plunge. Thanks again for everyone’s perspective!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sometimes, one can spread oneself too thin. Just because you can do all these things, doesn't mean you must have your fingers in them all. If they're all highly successful and can basically run themselves, I'd say set up a shop, but if you are going to be called away to put out fires, you're just creating more hot spots.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Adding another business be like...

Attachments

• Add A Sign Shop.gif
    Add A Sign Shop.gif
    498.6 KB · Views: 249

ikarasu

You'd need a printer, laminator, and a cutter . You're looking at 25-30k for the investment just to start doing what you want.

Material .. if you're doing floor material, and long term wall graphics... That's about 1k+ per roll with laminate.

If it made sense to own your own printer for a few shops... Walmart would do it in every city. You might think you'll be saving money.. but odds are you won't be.

bafremin

I totally understand what your are saying about initial investment, and spreading myself to thin, that is why i said i would be doing some research and weighing my options. When it comes to companies like Walmart, they would never do anything like that because there are too many variables. But thanks for your input.

Greg Mackinlay

Welcome!

A big point worth considering, these sorts of machines, really, really don't like to sit idle. If you can't keep it reasonably busy, it'll rot away, just like how a car that doesn't get driven enough does. but if you're insistent I'd recommend a smaller desktop UV printer, gives you tons of versatility and it also won't take up too much space. If you're a bit creative with your signage a smallish flatbed machine could be your solution.