• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Océ Colorado 1640

bigben

So I've just found the press release of the new canon colorado 1640. They is also some video poping out on the web. I have to say that machine seems amazing.
  • 1710sqft/h
  • cheaper ink cost
  • double rolls with auto-feed.
  • price around 58000$/usd (from an interview I've just found)
My HP L260 is getting old. The price of this new printer is a bit steep, but it could be a great contender.

What is your opinion on this new machine so far?

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I saw the video, Looks great. I'd own one if needed it.
Pretty strange how there's 2 separate gantries for the lamps and print heads.

I like how the whole thing is enclosed also, less dust and less chance of killing heads.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I think it looks amazing and I want one!! At $78k CDN that still seems like a good deal, if it's truly the fastest 64" printer on the market, and is as well built as their flatbed printers. I'm going to be seriously checking these out.

Sounds like it. The timing does coincide with all the teasers they've come out with over the last while.

Canon launches Océ Colorado 1640, the world’s first 64 inch roll-to-roll printer built on Canon’s new UVgel technology

From what I'm reading on the interwebs it looks like 170% stretchability is the goal for cannon. At those production speeds and dual 300' roll capable it looks like a good future purchase for us over the 570 series. If the predicted ink costs of sub $0.15/sqft are true it will be fast and cheap to run. Now I wonder if you can still do texturing on this machine like traditional UV?

I hope they have a built in clearcoat and white and we are sold.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
The arizona can print white colour white on the roll (3 layers) but won't do the varnish (clear) on the roll. It does it in stages. It'll flood the media with varnish first pass, then it'll go back and dry it.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I only ever used it when we got the arizona, after the bag finished, i swapped it to white to have double white.
From what i remember, it's a raised finished. It's quite thick. I only ever did it on rigid media. It does have some flex but it can crack.

From what i gather it's used more for POS displays where you want to Spot varnish highlights. Not something i'd use on vinyl.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We found our next machine... After meeting with our Oce rep and seeing a price to first hand. This is going to be wrapable ink, they said that it's being submitted to 3m for certification too. But I'm impressed with the quality of print at the speed they are suggesting. Although I didn't get to keep the print and have to wait for Isa to sign a buyer contract this machine is going to convert us from latex without reservations. HP has some innovation they will need to do with the latex to match up to what this is going to offer.

I mean self loading upto 4 (2 top drawer and 2 bottom drawer with upgrade) 300' roll capacity with white Ink and printspeeds in excess of 300sqft/hour with white is just simply amazing. For what looks to be comparable to our 360 8pass they are hitting 600+ sqft/hr and our 6 pass at near 1200.

I suggest anyone looking for a production machine to see if this will fit with their work flow.

johnnysigns

Glad to see this is confirmed with white ink. The fuji 1600 is roughly $47-$48K, how much higher is this slated to cost?

I have seen this machine live and running. It is truly impressive. The automation to the capacity. On top of that the speed. Wait until you see the backlits. The color gamut is great. When you see the machine and how the ink works, you will understand why the ink cost is so low. PS. It is built like a tank.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
From what I'm reading on the interwebs it looks like 170% stretchability is the goal for cannon. At those production speeds and dual 300' roll capable it looks like a good future purchase for us over the 570 series. If the predicted ink costs of sub $0.15/sqft are true it will be fast and cheap to run. Now I wonder if you can still do texturing on this machine like traditional UV?

I hope they have a built in clearcoat and white and we are sold.

You can get 2 570's for the price of this 1 unit.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Yes, the cost for ink is $120 for 1l bags and based on their coverage information the price per sq works out to that.

Yeah but 2 570s still have all the HP loading shortcoming and material issues, heat, no white and less speed.

With these we can load 2 300' rolls and it will automatically switch between them, and the print speed 3x+ faster for comparable print quality from everything I've physically seen. So that means it would run through the 2 rolls in about the same time as the 2 570s would run through 2 150' rolls. Don't get me wrong I'm a latex fan, but this is totally going to put HP on edge and if Oce can develope lower cost entry level printers HP has alot to worry about. I'm just tired of some of the productivity shortcomings on our HPs which in turn makes us inefficient, pair that with a warranty issue on my machine which has left a very bad taste in my mouth for HP currently, we actually cancelled our order for a 570 over it.

rjssigns

I'm going to watch this thread to see what develops. If the printer actually delivers on print speeds, quality, reliability, etc...it will rock the market. Especially if they make smaller less expensive units.

KevSign

This machine is great but for the price too expensive. You don't have backup printer then you will losing client if you cannot afford to buy 2nd one. Also prepare your credit card to call tech support after warranty. Ink will expired and cannot print just like OCE Flatbed 256 & 258.

I am happy with my current setup:
HP Latex 570
HP Latex1500 (backup 3100)
HP Latex 3100 (backup 1500)
OCE 660XT 126”x98” (CMYK Engineering ink almost one year)
OCE 350 GT 48x96 (backup 660XT - CMYK Engineering ink almost one year)
FB700 98” (CMYK Engineering ink almost one year)
ESKO C60 Conveyor + Roll loader.
51" Acrylic Bender
Coming soon Miller T2 banner hemming (we still keep sewing machine)
Graphtec 860 54"
Auto Grommet machine
***** I am not support print for CHEAP MARKET
We are wholesale custom print and print for client appreciated and values the printing industry.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
This machine is great but for the price too expensive. You don't have backup printer then you will losing client if you cannot afford to buy 2nd one. Also prepare your credit card to call tech support after warranty. Ink will expired and cannot print just like OCE Flatbed 256 & 258.

HP Latex 570
51" Acrylic Bender
Graphtec 860 54"
Auto Grommet machine
We are wholesale custom print and print for client appreciated and values the printing industry.

This guy knows what he is talking about! Keven thanks for chiming in, I love hearing this from someone that runs a company like yours! Keep up the killer work!

Christian @ 2CT Media

HP Latex 570
51" Acrylic Bender
Graphtec 860 54"
Auto Grommet machine
Most people who would buy a Colorado already have other printers, it's a production machine. Like us for example already have latex, it wouldn't be going anywhere the Oce would just be filling a production void.