• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New or used VersaCAMM?

Colin

In my mind-numbing considerations of whether to acquire an inkjet or a thermal printer, I have a question about the VersaCamms:

What improvements has Roland made to the SP or VPs that might warrant buying a new one over one that is 1, 2, 3 + years old?

CentralSigns

The new ones have the i designation. SP-300i refers to new intelligent pass technology, were the heads spray ink differently, and faster. Look on the roland store sign lots of info there.

tomence

Also buying a new Roland VP gets you 2 years warranty and should include on site repairs if needed. And if you consider buying the new VP i dont think they make that printer anymore coz i was told by the Roland guys that the new VS will replace the VP and the new VS costs the same as the VP. So look into the new Roland VS very nice printer with newer print head technology. When buying the new VS you can have it setup as 2xCMYK for faster printing speed.(that's what i was told)

tomence

I don's know when their year end is but i know that the VS price is same as the VP price but the VS is way better the VP. I know the SP is a lot cheaper printer but you only get 1 year warranty with old printhead technology. So if you decide to buy the new VS who cares about the SP and the VP, you will have a newer better printer.

Check it out: http://www.rolanddga.com/products/printcut/versaVs/ and also this is printer/cutter as well.

we got a new vp540i thats the latest version. the i stands for intelligent pass, you can look it up on the roland dg website. you also as mentioned above get a 2 year warrenty with it, so well worth it!! very please witht he results on mine so far!

Colin

Ah yes - I see that now. Thanks.

I'm thinking that if I could get away with a Big Squeegee for lamination, an inkjet is a possible candidate for me. I really don't think I'd be needing to laminate anything over the length of 8', or it would be extremely rare.

tomence

I would still get a laminator but it's up to you and your budget so buy the big squeegee, try it and see if it works.
Also don't limit yourself to the 30" size, if you can get the 54 or 64 would be a much better choice. You don't have to buy the new VS you can always get the SP in 54" for the price of the VS-300.

InkjetAuction

Just got my service training on the VS-series this past week. Very nice machines.

The VS uses a single 8-channel Epson head, and can be inked CMYKx2, CMYK+LmLc or CMYK_LmLc+Mt+Wt

The single head had 7 dot sizes vs. the three dot sizes of the older DX4 head. The solids are VERY solid.

Very fast. Very nice dither quality. I'm also a convert on the white + metallic. I figured it would be a maintenance nightmare... but I may be wrong. The recirculation units for the white & metallic inks is a pretty nice setup. Also the new metallic solid and pattern swatches are pretty slick.

Like any new technology we as early adopters of the technology have to think different... and think ahead. White + Metallic is certainly not for everyone. However, if you cater to designers and agencies, or you want to offering something special, then think White + Metallic. If you just want plain ol' CMYK, then this machine will blow the doors off the competition.

~E

Last edited by a moderator:

gnatt66

i have a vp-300i and love it. fits where i need it to fit, i craigslisted a laminator that works awesome...and when i need larger prints there are plenty of people ready to jump when i email to sub them out.

the Big Squeegee works great with anything but oracal 210, imo... :)

Colin

DO NOT goet a 30", you will be sorry.

I guess it depends on what is and has been the norm for any particular shop's work. I don't have anyone to help me physically handle really big prints, so that is something to consider. Although, I stand to be corrected on that! Maybe it wouldn't be that tough, and you're recommendation might be correct.

My initial thought too is that if a 30" printer is that useless, they wouldn't be making them. There are some sign shops who still get by with the 11.8" size of a Gerber Edge, so for me to be able to do a 26.4" thermal print with a DC4sx seems like it would be a good fit.

I just read last night somewhere on the 'net how so often one sees 24" material sitting in these giant printers, doing what is the bulk of the work - smaller stuff.

*shrug*

Mike_Koval

We do carry the VS-300 and these units are in stock and ready to ship. There are three options to set up the machine...

Dual CMYK
CMYK Lc Lm
CMYK Lc Lm Whit Metallic

If you are looking for speed, dual CMYK is the option for you. The metallic and white look GREAT, however, print speeds are very slow. As a previous poster said, if your market is for designers, ad agencies, prototyping, metallic and white is perfect.

Feel free to contact me at any time with any questions...these units are available in Canada through Stahls Canada.