• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New pets!

Caitlin

These are my new babies. They are juvenile red belly piranhas, only a couple months old I think. They will get up to a foot long. :rock-n-roll:

My boyfriend treats them like children, I think he likes them more than he likes me. :Big Laugh

Attachments

• fishy.jpg
    fishy.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 85

Caitlin

:ROFLMAO:

Yeah, right now they are a little timid. But full grown they can take off a finger pretty easily. He is in charge of feeding them, cleaning the tank, etc. That was the deal with getting them :thumb:

SignManiac

North Atlantic blue fish (large mackerel) are nothing but overgrown piranhas. I was wind surfing in the ocean late in the fall and about a half mile off the beach, before I realized what was happening, I sailed directly over a huge school of them, about a hundred yards long and the same across. They were in a feeding frenzy following a school of bait fish. The water was boiling and was red from the blood. These fish have razor sharp teeth and they were gnashing at anything that moved. My biggest fear was falling off the board in the middle of this feeding frenzy. Luckily I got pass them and I was safe, but man was my heart pounding. They would have picked my flesh off down to the bone. Have to admit, this was one of the few times I was really scared!

Good luck with the pets!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, what do you feed flesh/meat eating fish ?? Neighborhood dogs, little brats or competition ??

Caitlin

Yikes! That sounds scary. I've heard of schools killing injured cows who wandered into the river in South America and places where they live in the wild.

Mine don't have names yet, we have to give it some more thought. They are actually very skittish and need lots of places to hide. When we first let them go, they sat squashed together in the rocks for quite a while before they even started to look around. But that being said, one of our cycling tetras suspiciously vanished yesterday... supposedly everything changes when they get hungry. :Big Laugh

Attachments

• piranha.jpg
    piranha.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 79

Caitlin

:ROFLMAO: The guy at the pet store suggested small yappy dogs.

We feed them frozen bloodworm cubes, but they also like shrimp pellets, or I guess live tank companions. It's also good to give them things like raw potato and zucchini sometimes. I guess some people give them pieces of animal heart and the like but I can't imagine wanting to do that, and red meat makes them more aggressive.