• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New plotter. Need some input

Sticky Signs

Am I in the right section?
Long story short, the 10 yr old pc that runs my plotter has finally died. Need to replace it but started thinking it may be better to upgrade my entire cutting system. I currently have a 30" Graphtec fc5100-75. I'm thinking I may be better off trading or selling this machine and getting something new that will be compatible with my Roland pro 3.
I'm out of the loop when it comes to plotters and software but I've heard a few things that got me thinking. I'm not sure if it's possible (can't see why it wouldn't be) but here's what I'd like:

- plotter that can handle at least 54" vinyl and will read the Roland crop marks
- I'd like to run it from either my rip station (pc) running versaworks or from my Mac. I've been told you can cut directly from Illy. true? I'd rather not have to buy a copy of sign lab or similar if I don't have to.
- I'd like to keep a simple work flow as well. I currently do all my file set up on the mac (mostly adobe). I wirelessly transfer files to the Rip. Keeps everything nice and simple. I'd like to keep a similar work flow for the plotter.

Any input, experience, do's and don'ts are appreciated.
Cheers

Techman

ask all your neighbors and friends for their P4 XP machine out of their closets. Someone will come up with one machine that will be perfect for your needs.

In fact I just did just that to get a computer for my CNC router. Got a real nice late model XP dell for free. I could not be happier.