• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Printer Question

CanuckSigns

Hey Guys:

As most of you know, we suffered a fire at our shop that claimed all of our equipment. I'm in the process of gathering info on new equipment.

We've decided to go with a VS-540 machine, I was wondering what the advantages would be to going with the CCMMYKLcLm setup over the dual cmyk setup? we had a sp540 before with a single cmyk setup and never really had any issues with colour, will the LcLm really make a big difference for everyday sign work?

Also, I can't seem to find out how many print heads the VS540 has, does anyone know?

tomence

It has only one printhead and i believe it is an Epson DX6. The VS and the new RE prints so nice that you don't need the two extra colors. I would go with the 2xCMYK. Why don't you go with two separate machines, like get the new RE-640 and a separate Summa cutter. That's what my setup is and am loving it. I never liked the print and cut combo, having the separate summa cutter you can cut the whole 50 yard roll without readjusting it that's how good summa cutters are.

romichoux

you should not take this printer. VS ans RE roland printer use vertical cartridges and there is a variation of ink pressure in the printhead. a lot of my customers who get this printer would like to change there machine. to many problem due to those vertical cartridges. you should better choose the XC or XR printer.

CanuckSigns

you should not take this printer. VS ans RE roland printer use vertical cartridges and there is a variation of ink pressure in the printhead. a lot of my customers who get this printer would like to change there machine. to many problem due to those vertical cartridges. you should better choose the XC or XR printer.

Interesting. This is the first I've heard of this. I would have thought that the ink pumps, dampers etc would keep the pressure even?

Not saying I agree or disagree, just that i've been here a while and never heard of this before.

Cyw

I remember reading that originally there was an issue with some folks not seating the cartridge properly.....the cartridge leaked, the ink corroded stuff and made a mess

Not sure if this was addressed or if it's still an issue.....or if it wasn't really an issue to begin with and some people just weren't careful about replacing the ink.

Diane

tomence

My RE is 5 months old now and i never had a problem with the ink at all. I know i heard that they had a problem with the VS when it came out but they resolved it.

2B

http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82218

yes the vertical cartridges did leak on the 1st gen VS models, see link to view what happened to one of ours.

they have since over hauled the bracket that holds the inks and so far have not had issues (knock on wood)

there is a considerable speed difference between the 2+CMYK compared to the LmLc addition. In the end it comes down to the purpose of the machine, sounds like you have been getting the job down with your CMYK.

on a side note I would suggest the 640 series that added width is nice to have