• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just In New Roland Cutter: Gr-640

TomK

Never used a Roland cutter...started with Graphtec, added Summa, and all I use now is Summa, my Graphtec 6000 and FC8600 are collecting dust.

Signed Out

I wonder if it can actually print/curt accurately over 10'. The gx500 we have struggles to do this. Have been considering buying a summa plotter for its print/cut registration and accuracy.

rjssigns

Error of no more than +/-0.2% of distance traveled, or 0.1 mm (0.00394 In,), whichever is greater.

Doing the math it will drift 0.250" in 125".

Signed Out

We cut 20' logos regularly on our GX500- with a bleed of course.

Yes easy enough when only 1 color touches the cut line. But when you have 2 or more colors intersecting the cut line, and the cut is off slightly, you end up with ugly corners, or unequal outlines, etc. Unless you are telling me this doesn't happen to you with long print/cut applications?

Curious you say you cut 20' long regularly. Is that print/cut or just cut vinyl? If it's print/cut are you using versaworks print/cut crop marks? And does the plotter have no trouble finding all 4 cropmarks without tricking the plotter?

On anything over I'd say about 12' long it is hit or miss if our plotter will find the 3rd and 4th cropmarks on its own. When this happens we measure how much the sensor misses the back cropmarks by and calculate the percentage it is off (distance missed by/total length of print) Then we will stretch the artwork by that percentage, save and re rip the file and use the new file to cut. This works but cuts longer than 8-10' still suffer from not perfect accuracy.

Signed Out

Error of no more than +/-0.2% of distance traveled, or 0.1 mm (0.00394 In,), whichever is greater.

Doing the math it will drift 0.250" in 125".

So I guess the answer is no. They haven't fixed the tracking issues for print/cut applications... Bummer

Signed Out

After reading the specs on the new cutter and comparing to the old one... It's no more accurate which is really a shame. Faster, but who runs these plotters at max speed anyway? New cutting slot and tool holder seems nice though. The only major improvement I see here is the the 54" model is actually capable of cutting 54". Not like the GX500, what a kick in the nuts the first time I tried doing a print/cut with that plotter. Was advertised as a 54" machine but can only cut 48", and you have to trim down the 54" material by hand to be able to cut 48" wide. With the new model, the 54" accepts 60" rolls and would actually work well with a 54" printer.

Gene@mpls

Curious you say you cut 20' long regularly. Is that print/cut or just cut vinyl? If it's print/cut are you using versaworks print/cut crop marks? And does the plotter have no trouble finding all 4 cropmarks without tricking the plotter?

Sorry- I missed this question somehow. It is with print/laminate/cut and Versaworks. I would say 'maybe' 4-5% of the time it has trouble finding the 3rd mark on very long cuts. I have printed a dot of the proper size on a cutout of white to move the mark slightly once in a while. I would say rarely. Still thinking about a GR- when they just came out I think people had issues, but I have not heard anything lately.

dhamlett15

Interested too if anyone got it, or has seen it work?
I have a GR-540 it is a better machine than the gx series but it still has a few issues.

At least once a day vinyl will catch in the sheet cut groove and jam up ruining the vinyl.

Would rather have a manual pinch roller handle than the automatic pinch rollers they take too long.

If you load cut vinyl based on the lines on the front platen it is not straight and you will only be able to cut about 3 ft. I have had to make my own marks to get the vinyl loaded straight.

Gene@mpls

At least once a day vinyl will catch in the sheet cut groove and jam up ruining the vinyl.

Is this an automatic cutoff when the machine has done the contour cut? Or something else. I have removed the cutoff feature of the GX we have- we cut it off by hand if necessary. Thanks Gene

Also- looking online I see it has a perf cut feature too- if that actually worked it would fit some of our workflow... if.

PPS- also would like to hear how it is better than the GX- we have been happy with it but bought a wider printer now. Thanks again

Last edited: