• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Sign Shop - need advise

Safetysignguy

Hi Everyone! I manage a safety company in Edmonton who has been either outsourcing signs or bringing them in from our manufacturing facility in Toronto. The demand we are seeing for more signs has increased and justifies looking at setting up a sign shop locally.

I need to be able to manufacture high quality signs for outdoor use in harsh environments. What is the best printing method for this? Digital solvent based printers and a good lamination?? other suggestions??

All advise is appreciated.

threeputt

I would think solvent inks on a good grade of vinyl, quality laminate affixed to DiBond or similar metal panel.

But we're not in an extreme climate. Maybe someone from the northern parts can comment.

As a starter, work & learn in your manufacture facility in Toronto.

:goodpost: The best way to learn is by doing it. See what works for your shop in toronto and go from there. Everybody can tell you what to get and then you can buy it. And then you don't know how to work it or you see something a little more user friendly that you wish you had got.

signworldusinc

Merchant Member
Hello Welcome from California, I would recommend going with the solvent but as everyone is suggesting learn what yu can first and then decide what works out the best

Safetysignguy

Thanks everyone!

In Toronto we silk screen and have a vinyl cutter. We don't do any digital printing, but the market here is in low volume, always custom signs. I worked in the print shop in Toronto for 8 years before moving into sales/management. I'm very familiar with silk screening, but digital is the way I need to go. I have a local vendor that will work with us to learn the manufacturing process. I also have 4 graphic artists at my disposal. I was just wanting to know if this was the best solution for the quality of sign I'm aiming for.

The other reason I can not continue to outsource is due to the quick turnaround that is demanded.

Do you have any recommendations on a 42" printer/cutter and also a Laminator?

Your input is greatly appreciated!