• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New to All-Over Printing

trancelot

My imagination is bigger than yours.
My friend and I are in the process of starting our own company. We are looking into screen presses that are capable of all-over printing. For an automatic press with everything we need, it will cost us 125k. To get a manual will be 25k. Obviously, we are going with the cheaper option, as we are just getting started. Does anyone have any words of wisdom, advice, or experiences with manual, all over presses? Right now we are leaning towards Vastex equipment. Thoughts?

brando

:thankyou:

artbot

first advice... and this one is gold. work in/for a print shop for at least five years. you are entering a saturated market and will be selling that equipment in an auction in two years flat.

if you've worked in the graphic industry, i'd suggest you name off your experience, qualifications, and target market. that's much more important then choosing which giant magical money making machine to purchase.

mark galoob

Oh. I think u should buy the 100 k model. Shirts are an easy market to get in and virtually no one sis doing them. You will make ur money back in no time.

Mark galoob

tomence

Second advice and this is platinum... Buy used, never buy brand new it is not worth it. All the good name presses are built like tanks even 20 year old press like Rototex or M&R will be the same as if you bought it brand new right now.

trancelot

first advice... and this one is gold. work in/for a print shop for at least five years. you are entering a saturated market and will be selling that equipment in an auction in two years flat.

if you've worked in the graphic industry, i'd suggest you name off your experience, qualifications, and target market. that's much more important then choosing which giant magical money making machine to purchase.

I'm not a complete newbie, and I know it's hard work and competitive. I've done graphic design for 10 years and made signs for 4. I've done plenty of research on this, and I don't need to list off my qualifications to you. If you don't have anything that applies to my questions, don't answer.

tomence

By your first post, it looks like you are a newbie. 125K for an auto or 25K for a manual press? I got my all over auto for 5K and another Manual All Over for 2K. They make me money 24/7.

parrott

What the hell is this "all over" you guys speak of. We have 5 auto presses and 1 large 50"x99" manuel press, but have no idea what "all over" is. Please enlighten me.

And like others have said: this is an extremely over saturated market. If your buying screen presses, definitely buy used. They are like designers, a dime a dozen.

FrankenSigns.biz

Does anyone have any words of wisdom, advice, or experiences

Yes, don't buy anything. Go ahead and start your company and just farm everything out. You'll be much happier if your business fails and you didn't invest all that money.

In my opinion, screen printing is a poor man's trade...

trancelot

By your first post, it looks like you are a newbie. 125K for an auto or 25K for a manual press? I got my all over auto for 5K and another Manual All Over for 2K. They make me money 24/7.

The quotes include dryer, flash, etc. What brand of equipment are you using?

trancelot

Yes, don't buy anything. Go ahead and start your company and just farm everything out. You'll be much happier if your business fails and you didn't invest all that money.

We decided to buy our own equipment because the cheapest we could get what we want is $15 a shirt with a minimum if 144. We are wanting to print 1-4 colors on two sides of a 4oz. shirt. Designs cover the whole shirt.

trancelot

What the hell is this "all over" you guys speak of. We have 5 auto presses and 1 large 50"x99" manuel press, but have no idea what "all over" is. Please enlighten me.

And like others have said: this is an extremely over saturated market. If your buying screen presses, definitely buy used. They are like designers, a dime a dozen.

Your 50x99 manuel would handle what I mean by all-over. From the bottom of the shirt to the sleeves. Most printers I have found max out at 18" to 22"

Locals Find!

We decided to buy our own equipment because the cheapest we could get what we want is $15 a shirt with a minimum if 144. We are wanting to print 1-4 colors on two sides of a 4oz. shirt. Designs cover the whole shirt.

Sublimation might be a better route to get started. Also, if your looking to do that kinda color count there are plenty of trade screenprinters out their that will gladly take on the work that are more qualified and streamlined then you will ever be check the merchant member section.

From experience I can tell you though screenprinting sucks and you make squat. I sold off my equipment years ago (what I didn't out right toss in the dumpster) Unless you can bring in big numbers every day of the week your a poor man with expensive equipment that every high schooler learns in art class and competes with you. Not to mention the YUDUers out their to screw up the market even worse.

boxerbay

+1 ^^^

build your client base first before you go head first into buying equipment. find another vendor with better pricing even if it is not local. are you selling shirts or are you selling your designs on shirts? Cafe press? ASI? I'm sure you could find an adequate vendor. I would rather make a smaller profit of each shirt with ZERO overhead vs making a bit more profit but then have it sucked up by equipment costs.

most printing start as brokers then as you build enough regular clients you increase your margin by buying the right equipment to service those existing clients. "build it and they will come" is risky in this flat economy.

John L

"build it and they will come" is risky in this flat economy.

That's right.

It might be full well worth the risk but I'd bet the trend for those all over prints will be all over in 3..2..1...

Maybe you have but I say- come up with the NEXT thing and you got something (for just a little while anyway).

A Bump for your Good luck.

signswi

What you don't say in the OP is if you're buying this to get into screenprinting or if you're doing this to cut down costs for a tshirt company. Big difference in approach :).