• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New to backlit signage

jnh

Hi Guys, greetings from Sydney, Australia. This is my first post. My business has expanded from embroidery to vinyl decals and am now getting requests for larger signage work. My question is about a backlit menu board in a restaurant. The client wants to update the pricing/menu information, he will be providing the new artwork. It seems to be a full colour print, so I will farm the job out (as my roland cutter will not do for this). My question is (and please remember i'm a complete newb to this), how easy is it to install the new graphic in the lightbox. The pic I have provided is not the best quality (apologies). Is it along the lines of unscrewing the face and replacing the graphic? Is it actually an adhesive? I'm guessing it's hard to tell from the pic what type of system this is, but maybe I can get some advice on how to check the lightbox and see what i'm dealing with. Thank you :)

Attachments

• IMG_0958.jpg
    IMG_0958.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 213

2B

first thing, is whomever did it before did it wrong! the bulbs should NEVER create hot spots on face when illuminated.

the easiest will be to get a new blank face and install the backlit printed vinyl to that.
removing the old vinyl usually takes more time and hassle than it would be to buy a new blank piece and start from there.

Why can't you use your plotter? granted there will be LOTS of weeding.
from the image there is only 2 colors, or is there more colors off image?

Last edited:

jnh

Thanks or the response. Much appreciated. When you say 'blank face' are you talking Perspex/acrylic sheet? Is there anything I should know about what type to get?, and i'm assuming I will find screws on the box where the face comes loose.
Also when sticking the backlit printed vinyl, is it stuck on external or internal of blank face?

Yeh, I considered using the plotter, I guess it's possible. In the centre of the image there is a light green motif pattern behind everything, which I thought might be tricky.

FS-Keith

really hard to give you any good info based on those pics. cant tell anything about it really as far as the construction of the sign

jnh

For sure. Next time I visit the site, i will take some better pics and investigate further. Thanks

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Most of your questions will be answered by performing a standard site survey. Visit the site, bring some tools, see how the sign is manufactured, how it comes apart, etc. Measure the size of the face and as mentioned, sell them a new face with new graphics.

Bly

What Moze said.

Some backlit prints slip in between a piece of opal and clear acrylic sheets, and others stick onto the front of opal.
You won't know unless you go there and pull it out.
Which you'll want to do to get the exact right size.
If you're just quoting at this stage try and get the owner to do it since they may only be price shopping.

jnh

Thanks Bly for that extra info on the backlit films and acrylic sheets, it helps. Also I will take your advice on getting the owner to involve himself in this initial price shopping process as much as possible. Cheers.