• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New to industry: Need clarification on print/cut machine advice from Roland dealer.

mc3customcoolers

We make custom ice chests out of steel drums
Hello, I have a startup that creates custom ice coolers. FB & instagram mc3customcoolers
We use multi color decals on our products; avg size decal is 10"H x 14"W.

I spoke with a Roland dealer today about purchasing a BN-20, & he highly recommended not to purchase that model for 2 reasons.
1. It clogs up frequently, using more ink. 2. The vinyl paper is unique 20" roll so it can only be purchased from Roland.

He explained that the 30" Versacamm SP-300i would fit our decal needs and save us $ on vinyl paper and ink troubles.

I have no experience in this field, so I was hoping to reach out and confirm what this dealer is saying. I'd appreciate any feedback, thank you.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Most suppliers will be able to slit a larger roll down into 20" portions for you, so that's a non-issue.
Not heard of the BN-20 clogging up any more than other machines unless they're not getting frequent use.
They share the same DX6 head and inks as the RE/RF/VS/XF/XR printers so it sounds more like an upsell.

That being said, if you ever think you'll need to print larger than 19" wide, have a good think about a wider machine.
They will print faster and lead to larger jobs. We initially were going to go the BN-20 and ended up with a VS-540.
Paid the entire machine off in <12 months due to the amount of jobs we didn't have to knock back.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I don't have an answer for you but, unless you have permission to slap team logos on your product, don't be surprised if you get a cease and desist from a lawyer... or worse...

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I don't have an answer for you but, unless you have permission to slap team logos on your product, don't be surprised if you get a cease and desist from a lawyer... or worse...
I didn't even look at the link (not something I'd be interested in), but absolutely!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Instead of putting out the money for a machine..... you don't know how to use, buying supplies you don't know anything about, purchasing the proper licensing to do what you wanna do........ why not just hire a real sign shop to do the work.

Please don't say they're too expensive and you wanna bring this in-house to save money and cut a professional out of something you know nothing about.

Johnny Best

Good luck in your quest. You are going to have to purchase a laminator also. The roland saves you money because it is two machines in one with a printer and a cutter. Also as mention about the team logos being used will get you in trouble, thats a "heads up" statement because I did see the Oakland Raiders logo on the large black cooler you fabricated.

C

ColoPrinthead

Roland will cheat you for your ink money a few MLs at time, read the forum. You can search for someone to cut rolls of media for you, or buy a larger machine. Like others have said, your prints won't be worth a damn for long if you don't laminate them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Billct2

I went to check out their website and didn't see a link? But when I googled it I came up with company in Wisconsin that has the same name, doing the same thing and looks like they have all the licenses?

bannertime

I went to check out their website and didn't see a link? But when I googled it I came up with company in Wisconsin that has the same name, doing the same thing and looks like they have all the licenses?

This whole thing is sketchy. The other company (C3 Custom Coolers) makes a cool product and supposedly has a license. According to the MC3 Custom Coolers Instagram, this guy makes something different and is all over the place on trademark violations.

Johnny Best

This guy uses 55 gal drums for his coolers, if he gets his licence thing down, he should be good, wish him luck because RaiderNation is moving to Vegas.
Those coolers in Wsiconsin are remote controlled

KSTrooper

Wrapper, designer, illustrator
I used a 54" Versacamm at my old shop, and I have to say that it worked really well for us. It's also very useful in that it will plot as well as print. I would definitely recommend a Versacamm, and as SignMeUpGraphics said, it's almost always better to go bigger. GIves you more flexibility.

Joe House

Roland will cheat you for your ink money a few MLs at time, read the forum.

Really??? Still?? I think the consensus of that thread that you started was that you don't know what you're talking about and now I think it's starting to border on slander or libel - I'm not a lawyer, but I still know it's wrong to go saying things like that.

As for the printer recommendation, the BN-20 is painfully slow, but has excellent print quality. But if you have the room, go for a bigger printer. Also the laminator is going to be a critical part of your production as well.
If you're new to all of this, you might consider subbing out the printing to a shop that already has the equipment and the know how.

Last edited:
C

ColoPrinthead

Really??? Still?? I think the consensus of that thread that you started was that you don't know what you're talking about and now I think it's starting to border on slander or libel - I'm not a lawyer, but I still know it's wrong to go saying things like that.
That wasn't my thread, but it was entertaining enough to supply a sarcastic remark on this one.

mc3customcoolers

This whole thing is sketchy. The other company (C3 Custom Coolers) makes a cool product and supposedly has a license. According to the MC3 Custom Coolers Instagram, this guy makes something different and is all over the place on trademark violations.

Ok. What about the printers though?

mc3customcoolers

No website only fb & insta. C3 sells plastic generic sports coolers, while MC3 custom coolers takes customized orders according to what images you customers send in; whether it be a name, phrase, picture, etc. They explain the concept in paint, decals, accessories they want, and we fabricate it to there liking.

mc3customcoolers

Instead of putting out the money for a machine..... you don't know how to use, buying supplies you don't know anything about, purchasing the proper licensing to do what you wanna do........ why not just hire a real sign shop to do the work.

Please don't say they're too expensive and you wanna bring this in-house to save money and cut a professional out of something you know nothing about.

We currently use a sign shop that charge $15 decal. The process of creating vectors and printing is very easy, we just wanted to make sure the paper & ink costs were verifiably lower in long term.
Supply & operation costs per decal was calculated at under $.90 a decal, so we would be crazy not to purchase machine.