• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Guy New (to me) printer, serious questions. Roland FJ-600

dtsowosso

I got, potentially, what I thought was a screaming deal on this printer, but I have some questions. As noted, this is a Roland FJ-600

This printer uses aqueous pigment or dye inks out of the box. It arrived, heavily used, with 5 inks installed. When I turn it on, the display tells me I am missing green, orange, and light cyan. I purchased and placed light cyan in, but have yet to order the other two. I was hoping I could hold pause, as per the manual, to bypass this warning, so that I could set the printer to single head CMYK, all of which are present. However, holding pause doesn't do so.

So that leads me to question one- is there a trick for changing to CMYK and bypassing this warning, so that I don't have to buy another $200 in ink that I don't intend to use? If not, I guess I'll be sticking to 8 color pigment for a while.

Next, some application questions. Because this is aqueous ink, I believe I understand that it can be used for a) sublimation paper, b) paper media, and c) aqueous ink specific vinyl's, because it won't stick to most vinyl. It was recommended that these are used for indoor signage by a person who I don't know, and thus I come to ask this community.

My next question. Youtube contains a video of someone who's added a heater and converted this machine to eco sol. Is this still possible, and if so, where is a walk through and link to parts?

I'm getting there, sorry this is long winded. Next, if I were to convert to eco sol, am I correct in my assumption that I can no longer use it for sublimation?

And finally- here we go, the bitter end. I was warned that the heads are dried. I have ordered Roland aqueous ink cleaning solution to see what I can do, but I cant even test the thing until I resolve the first issue above. If I cannot resolve it, I have contacted a company that can attempt their process to revive the ink jet heads. Their service is highly rated, and very affordable. If not, I have located new heads for much less than the cost of getting another printer. Do they have to be calibrated some sort of way? I had a pc-600 for a while, and it was a disaster to align without the old alignment file.

Thanks everyone for your time. I know there is a wealth of knowledge here.