• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New to routing! Need help

allen sign co

We're new to the routing game. We recently purchased a Vision Engraver/Router 2550. We want to create a build up seal (22" dia) using 6 mm sintra like what I've attached. Our idea is to create pockets for the letters and elements to nest in. Any help on achieving this?

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 222

letterman7

Pocketing is pretty basic stuff. You bought a router and have no idea how to run the program? Essentially, your toolpath will follow the inside vector of the letter. If the program doesn't already allow for offsets in the corners, you'll have to figure each letter individually.

Terremoto

Our idea is to create pockets for the letters and elements to nest in. Any help on achieving this?

Bear in mind that when you route out, for instance a "T" the inside angles will have a radius equal to the diameter of your bit whereas the outside angles will be sharp. The opposite is going to happen when you route the "pocket".

You're going to be the victim of the round peg in a square hole - or vice versa depending on your point of view - syndrome.

Inlays are best done with a laser or water jet.

Dan

letterman7

Bear in mind that when you route out, for instance a "T" the inside angles will have a radius equal to the diameter of your bit whereas the outside angles will be sharp. The opposite is going to happen when you route the "pocket".

You're going to be the victim of the round peg in a square hole - or vice versa depending on your point of view - syndrome.

Inlays are best done with a laser or water jet.

Dan

You'll still have the same issue with a waterjet. Lasers are good for sharp corners, but not pockets (especially in pvc) if it's not a through pocket. If the program is capable enough, the radius of the bit is taken into account when creating both the pocket and the pocketed object. The OP needs to really read through the programming manual thoroughly and do some test cuts before asking how to do this.

Terremoto

You'll still have the same issue with a waterjet.

We have a guy with a waterjet and a laser that we sub out our dimensional stuff to - I provide him with the vector files. He's done a few inlay projects for us with his waterjet and they came out perfect.

Dan