• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New to the Biz and Very lost

ldouble619

Hi, well where to start...I'm a engineer and designer for a living. and I started looking for a side business. So I bought a pc-60, pnc 1210, hotronix shirt press and a hotronix hat press. and the only software I have is corel draw 8. haha and I have no idea how to operate any of it. oooooo boy.

so what else do I need? I can design on corel fine. but how do I get it to the cutter? right now I just using the pnc 1210. do I need any other software?

thanks so much for your input and time.

D&Tgraphics

So, you bought all the equipment so you can be a "sign guy" but you have no idea how to use any of it, did I get that right?

This has to be a joke.
Ok, you got me. Ha Ha.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
If your PC-60 and PNC 1210 did not come with software than you are going to need to add something to your setup and probably also will need to upgrade your Corel 8 to X3 or X4. Probably your lowest cost will be with something like CoCut Pro.

ldouble619

HAHA.ha it is pretty funny...I didn't want to buy it all I just wanted to buy a hobby cutter. But I came across a deal and through in a really low bid and they took it.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
In due course, you'll learn exactly why they were keen to get rid of that stuff...you'll have many heartaches ahead of you in the learning curve, my friend, and there are no shortcuts, sorry!

Corel 8 ought to work them both, but you'll need to find & download the drivers for the machines before they'll think about working. Corel 12 or else X3 is the next best option, pricewise.

cOrKinSA

So where were you when you just decided to do something like this?
Was this like a "Hotdog Cart" or a "printshop" sort of decision?

iSign

some guy on another forum was just bragging about unloading the same list of antiquated equipment...

...other guys were laying into him for how he could look himself in the mirror, doing that...

..he said "some engineer guy threw him a crazy high bid" ...so he took it :rolleyes:

S

Sign-Man Signs

So, you bought all the equipment so you can be a "sign guy" but you have no idea how to use any of it, did I get that right?

This has to be a joke.
Ok, you got me. Ha Ha.

Geez. Another one. Someone is definatley has our number. We're being punked.
Go buy yourseld a good sign making software like Flexi which runs about $5000.00 dollars. Get your vinyl and suplies for around another eight grand and then, you might think different about starting a sign business. Seriuos, your joking right..........Then again you are an engineer.

Richard Flint

Oh yeah, what better Side Business could there be than the Sign Business?
I'm sure everybody here will be more than willing to help you out.
:rolleyes:

os101king

Hi, well where to start...I'm a engineer and designer for a living. and I started looking for a side business. So I bought a pc-60, pnc 1210, hotronix shirt press and a hotronix hat press. and the only software I have is corel draw 8. haha and I have no idea how to operate any of it. oooooo boy.

so what else do I need? I can design on corel fine. but how do I get it to the cutter? right now I just using the pnc 1210. do I need any other software?

thanks so much for your input and time.

You want a side biz, buy a pickup, trailer and a couple mowers. This really is something you have to throw heart & soul into to succeed. On the flipside, if you decide to be serious about it (calling it a "side biz" won't get you far here) then buckle in and ask more questions.

ldouble619

why do most of you feel the need to be rude and insult me? I paid 2500.00 for of that equipment, I can unload it for more money than that at anytime. but whatever I was just looking for some input, I'll figure it out and if not I'll sell the stuff

Last edited:

Bigdawg

Just Me
Take Fred's advice and look at CoCut. Probably your best bet.

And posting about how you are starting a side business, with equipment you don't know how to use is what has elicited the responses you received. How would you feel if one of us decided we'd like to try our hand at engineering, but had no technical skills? Kind of the same thing for us. We consider ourselves no less skilled or professional then say, an engineer.

This is a great place to learn - don't let the bashing scare you off - but there is an expectation that you will have a certain basic knowledge (such as how to communicate with your equipment) when you come here. Ride it out and you'll learn lots.

weaselboogie

Because your tale is a weekly occurance.

Somebody wants to do signs because it LOOKS easy. You're entering this field very cavalier. It would be like me wanting to, oh, I don't know... be an engineer on the side.... Ya know just part time. I'll just design industrial parts, bridges and shit for friends.

I can kick ass at legos and erector sets, so I figured, what the hell. It looks easy, I can do it. I picked up PUNCH home design off EBAY for a fraction of the price of a real autocad program.

Offended? Trade shoes. You're insulting their career. That's why people are being rude.

DOGraphics

Read some newbie "noob" forum threads and you will see the reasone of the responeses you are getting. Think about it "i need some engeneered drawing can you help me out? I'll send you some specs.

and

Where in the United \Satates are you?

:beer

ldouble619

Ok, I understand that. But like i said was just looking for a hobby cutter to get started and I came across all this equipment. sorry I didn't intend to imply that it was easy by any means.
I'm in michigan

3mpainter

i can teach a [kid] to run a cutter in 2 hours, i do it all the time... most people on this site couldnt make a sign without thier pc. so dont sweat the serial posters. fred needs a sub site, mabey call it supersignmakerexpertonly .com

imaSIGNr

i can teach a [kid] to run a cutter in 2 hours, i do it all the time... most people on this site couldnt make a sign without thier pc. so dont sweat the serial posters. fred needs a sub site, mabey call it supersignmakerexpertonly .com

Very good point...many here forget this site is called SIGNS 101 which one would assume a beginner would be perfectly in his/her right to ask a "newb" questions.