• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New To Vinyl Cutting, Need Guidance.

Robhaha

Hi y'all, I have a copy, print, pack and ship store. I want to get into signs. My budget to start is 2000. I don't want junk. If anyone can recommend a good brand of used cutter I would appreciate it. I don't know what software to get either. Any help is appreciated.

2B

this topic has been discussed many time before, the search field is your friend.

Roland is another plotter brand

design software is very wide ranged and it all depends on your budget, typically coreldraw, Flexi and illustrator are the standards

Stella_FB700

You can always just start with a brand of the equipment for research on your end.
There are always machines USED in the market.
I would do research - then see if there is another place around you where you can go learn about them a bit more.
Most places have a Demo machine or can just update you on the processes.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Do you have a certain width in mind for the cutter? What sorts of materials were you hoping to cut and will you need the ability to contour cut? Will you be using a Mac or a PC to run your design and cutting programs? Also, do you currently have a cutter that you are using, and if so, how many hours per week do you use the cutter? If you aren't currently contour cutting do you you plan on adding a printer in the future?

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

Last edited:

printhog

Think twice about cut vinyl for that store.. Establish a relationship with a wholesale printer like signs365.com for the first year or so.. You're better off reselling until you get enough experience to purchase the proper output tools that support your customers demand. I'd say that digital print will be far easier for you to market successfully than cut vinyl. You basically resell completed cash and carry product that has little labor involved on your end until you get to the volume that demands in house work. Two day delivery is fine with the clientele in your type of store.
I've supplied firms like yours with wholesale products back in the 80s and 90s. I completely understand your desire and am an expert with this product in your setting. Design labor will kill you if you aren't set up for it, and employee churn will not help the matter.
We used standardized designs, from templates, with a simple ncr order form. Then our end sellers sent those to our shop by fax or email for production. You could do that with almost any wholesale printer. I'd suggest you look at selling business cards and printing as well.

You can add design as you get better at the sales end. In my experience serving Office Depot, mail boxes etc, and storage companies, you can expect $1500 per month gross sales, but that requires some aggressive point of purchase marketing. Best sellers are magnetic signs, banners, and decals, all of which require digital print versus vinyl cutting to be competitive. That's why you need a service bureau.

Get an idea of the prices shops charge.

If you go with cut vinyl, the summa cutters are by far the best investment and they hold a good resale value.

its only a freaking sign!

hcardwell93

I bought a second hand 30" Summa for $1000 with a stock of vinyl. I replaced a cutter strip and bought new blades. Paid it off in under a month.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Hi y'all, I have a copy, print, pack and ship store. I want to get into signs. My budget to start is 2000. I don't want junk. If anyone can recommend a good brand of used cutter I would appreciate it. I don't know what software to get either. Any help is appreciated.

Summa is a great plotter, but any of the name brands will work fine for quick runs or small stuff.

We work with a ton of stores like yourself. Please keep us in mind for when a customer asks you to print or make something that you don't do. We're only a 2 day ship to you! You can get pricing and more info at FireSprint.com - Trade only sign and graphic printing.