• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newb Question: Does Anyone Reclaim Acrylic (plexiglass) Sheets?

0igo

Before Gino comes storming in with his booze, does anyone reclaim old acrylic sheets? I usually toss them on the side of the street or use them as garage sale signs, but i want to know if it is possible to remove all the yellow from sun damage over the years?

Andy D

Hey Oigo, it's been awhile since I have been here, good to see you still kicking.
To answer your question, after peeling the old vinyl, you could turn it around and back lit
it and see if the ghosting shows up... but I wouldn't, it's better all the way around to use new substrates.
We do pile up our old plastic and drops from cuts, and a guy comes around and collects it, but we don't make
any money off of it.

S'N'S

Old trick on motorcycle windscreens when they go to crap, is to polish with toothpaste, works great and doesn't scratch it, not sure about the ghosting ....would smell nice thou :)
You could try some fine polish and a buff, nothing to loose but your time. Personelly I wouldn't bother as your time would be worth more than a new sheet.

0igo

Hey Oigo, it's been awhile since I have been here, good to see you still kicking.
To answer your question, after peeling the old vinyl, you could turn it around and back lit
it and see if the ghosting shows up... but I wouldn't, it's better all the way around to use new substrates.
We do pile up our old plastic and drops from cuts, and a guy comes around and collects it, but we don't make
any money off of it.

Good to see some of the original peeps on here. I haven't been on this either lol. But yeah I think the cleaning up takes way too much time anyways. Just thought there was an easy method someone discovered out there haha.

visual800

I answered this on yourother post.....I have buffed out faces before using a buffer and some cutting paste, believe it or not it comes out a lot better than original. Now keep in mind I already owned a buffer and the paste, I would run out and buy this stuff for this one job. I only do this IF the panel is not too large and IF I feel a buffing will save a panel.

skyhigh

Many many (many) years ago, I buffed out a few poly faces with rubbing/polishing compound. I remember they turned out pretty well.
The yellowing cleared up, and the ghosting all but disappeared.
I don't recall how I cleaned them after buffing them out, but the new lettering held up well. This was an experiment for
a friends business.
If memory serves me, I cleaned them with a watered down isopropal. Straight isopropal will "craze" the face, so that is
my understanding.

I would never do that again. The material is way cheaper than the effort involved.

Before Gino comes storming in with his booze
This is like the 4th post on the FIRST page that references Gino.

This is the first day I've been on here in quite a while. What the heck is up?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Many many (many) years ago, I buffed out a few poly faces with rubbing/polishing compound. I remember they turned out pretty well.
The yellowing cleared up, and the ghosting all but disappeared.
I don't recall how I cleaned them after buffing them out, but the new lettering held up well. This was an experiment for
a friends business.
If memory serves me, I cleaned them with a watered down isopropal. Straight isopropal will "craze" the face, so that is
my understanding.

I would never do that again. The material is way cheaper than the effort involved.

This is like the 4th post on the FIRST page that references Gino.

This is the first day I've been on here in quite a while. What the heck is up?

Wowee........ something from back in April is still on the first page ?? How astute of you. Maybe because you're just trolling around looking for problems......

Your post is just so full of information, too. You did something, you don't remember what you used, how you did it or if memory serves ya, but it worked, because you used some kinda buffing compound. Yep, that's helpful Mr Jester. Keep up the good work. Your meds are serving you just dandy. :thumb:

skyhigh

Wowee........ something from back in April is still on the first page ?? How astute of you. Maybe because you're just trolling around looking for problems......

Your post is just so full of information, too. You did something, you don't remember what you used, how you did it or if memory serves ya, but it worked, because you used some kinda buffing compound. Yep, that's helpful Mr Jester. Keep up the good work. Your meds are serving you just dandy. :thumb:
Well my Simpleton Little Fella......
if you were to open your thread "Does anyone have a set fee", then look at the bottom of that very page, you will see a section that shows "SIMILAR THREADS".....and IN THAT SECTION you will see the this thread. Not because it was still on page one, but it was on page one of your "Set Fee" thread.
(the common denominator to both threads it, they both begin with "DOES ANYONE....")

I believe I was very explicit when I said I used RUBBING/POLISHING compound, and it did a fine job of removing the yellow and ghosting.
If you really need me to FURTHER explain how to clean something, then maybe YOU"RE in the wrong business?

Sorry I couldn't hand it all to you on a silver platter DB.

Mystery solved. Go back to sipping on the bottle or napping. Its not a conspiracy against you.

Last edited: