• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie in Chicago: Question about hemming

amcswain

Hi,

I just upgraded to a hp latex 360. I've searched around the threads but couldn't find a specific answer to my questions. I'm basically looking for info on how much to pay for hemming. For banners I will tape hem, but for table throws, I would like to outsource the hemming. I have someone willing to do it, but I don't know how much to pay. How much is too much. Also, is there a special machine for this type of thing or will a basic serger be good enough. i'm printing on textile. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

WildWestDesigns

. Also, is there a special machine for this type of thing or will a basic serger be good enough. i'm printing on textile. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

A serger is technically an overlock machine, however, sergers usually denote machines with cutters (it cuts the fabric as you go). That may or may not be a good thing. I like it fine with patch production, but it may or may not be what you are wanting for banners or throws.

You can use a sewing machine to do a hem as well (I like the ones with a dual feed, not quite the same thing as a walking foot, serve the same function, but I prefer dual feed compared to the "after thought" of a walking foot).

Some will suggest a chain stitch. I typically advocate against that as a chain stitch is design by it's very nature to be quickly undone. Think of 50lb horse/cow/goat etc feed bags. Those are all chain stitch types. You can fasten them down with grommets, but be sure that you hit those stitches just right to help "terminate" the ability to unravel all of the chain stitch. If it's for a throw, I wouldn't use it period in that application. Banners, it would be possible.

Atomic DNA

To touch on what WW said, hemming is usually done with a coverstitch machine using 3 threads, two needle threads and one looper thread. This gives you a basic hem like you would see on the bottom of your t-shirt (two rows of stitching on top). Most have the ability to use 5 threads (3 needle, 1 spreader, one looper). They also have folder attachments to help guide the noobies but it isn't necessary after you have done it a few (hundred) times. Like he said, you will not have the ability to lock your thread at the end unless you cross over exactly where you started. Your other suggestion to locking it down would be to use a bartack machine. I really think this machine would be overkill for such a simple task.

We have programmable Juki DDL-8700-7's for single needle application. You can pick one of these up with the table and servo motor for less than 1k. Don't go with a clutch style motor as it too is overkill.

The programmable style could be a feature to look at as you can set it to stitch three or four threads going forward, three stitches backtack and a programmable number of stitches to go a certain length (if you are doing multiple banners of the same size) and then once it reaches the end, it will automatically backtack, cut and release the needle and bobbin thread. Nifty feature to have but still not absolutely necessary. This will leave a nice, single stitch on top and bottom with the ability to lock it down. These machines are a little over 1k for the program style.

The machine you end up getting needs to be able to handle heavier applications like the banner material. The optional drive that helps "pull" the fabric through does help and doing long runs I believe it would be something that would pay for itself in no time. But there is an opposite side to that coin. If you go that route, be ready to get you pocketbook out. The air-assisted/auto machines sometimes can be double to triple the original cost of the base machine. Also, the more gadgets and extra options you have on a machine, there are more things to break down. Auto machines can be very finicky.