• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie looking for thoughts on Oracal 970RA vs Hexis HX30000 (or HX20000).

carreragt7

First off, I'd like to introduce myself! My name is Andrew and I am currently an Industrial Design major and a Manufacturing Technology minor. I've been actively involved in many aspects of design for years and have recently been looking into vinyl wrapping for a few different school-related projects.

I have been helping layup the carbon fiber body panels for a couple different school race cars and recently helped do a wrap on one of the car's trailers. Unfortunately I arrived to it already having been semi-laid up with many problems.

Anyhow, I've been discussing the possibility of doing vinyl wraps on the cars instead of paint (3 body panels for our small electric hybrid race car cost $1100!) and have been assigned the task to look into the best vinyls for vehicle wrap.

I am definitely a novice when it comes to vehicle wrapping, but I've wrapped many objects in vinyls over the years so I've got a decent knowledge of how to go about a basic wrap: I am also hoping to attend a training class this summer to receive the 'proper' training. I've also been in talks with my university's Sign and Paint shops discussing the vehicle wrap options and found out they don't seem to have much experience in this field so I am hoping to be able to assist them after my training.

So to the point of this thread: I'd like to hear opinions on the pros and cons of the above mentioned vinyl options. I've done some basic researching via google, calling each supplier and getting their information about it, etc. so I feel I've done as much as I can without asking you professionals your opinions on it. I figure all of you that have had hands on experience with these particular vinyls would have the most valuable, truthful opinions and insights.

I attempted a search to make sure this topic hadn't been addressed already and only found a few posts mentioning one or the other, but not a direct comparison thread where the pros and cons of each are discussed, and which you would ultimately prefer to use.

From my calling the companies and multiple distributors the pricing appears to be very similar between the 970RA and HX30000, and their properties and specs appear similar as well.

The only thing I have heard regarding HX20000 vs 970RA is the HX appeared to be more easily scuffed whereas the 970RA has a more protective laminate surface.

I'm also interested in hearing your thoughts on their matte options as the current design for one of our cars is meant to have a matte white base with blue striping and logos. Matte black seems to be a much more common color chosen to be done in vinyl (or even paint) so I can't seem to find much info on the matte white durability or any special techniques needed to properly lay down matte vinyl.

Any opinions and insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated! I am hoping to become proficient enough in this field to use it to my advantage with my intended future career of 3rd party Automotive accessory designs, and these race car projects are proving to be very beneficial.

Thanks in advance for your help! I hope I properly introduced myself and explained the question well enough. If not just let me know and I will try again! I know I don't have the lingo/terminology down yet so please don't be too quick to judge: I try to learn quickly and not repeat previous mistakes. :)

carreragt7

great intro! welcome from cali :thumb:

I don't wrap, so no help from here...

Thanks for the welcome! I'm actually from a small town out near you, Susanville (couple hours away, near Reno). A ton of my friends ended up going to school at Chico or other CA schools. I used to go to Chico all the time for sports, great place. :)

rgaskins

I have a roll of matte black here I was going to wrap the wifes beetle with...I havn't even took it out the box...Heck, I may not even get to see how it works because now she says that black isn't for her..

carreragt7

That sucks, I hate when I buy supplies for something and then the plans change.

For our projects I'm really hoping to get a matte white, but I might go with a matte black as more people have done it and I haven't heard too many issues with it.

If you end up wanting to unload your roll, PM me the info on it (width, length, price, etc) and I might be able to take it off your hands for a personal project. Thanks!

GypsyGraphics

Six months ago I planned to wrap my son’s car in matte black and was trying to decide between Oracal and Hexis. I received a good size sample of both 970 RA & H-20000 (samples were not matte black) and wrapped a rear side panel and corner onto the bumper, with each. I liked the conformability of the Hexis much better, but their matte black didn’t come pre-laminated, so I ordered the Oracal.

Six months later, when I finally get around to wrapping the car, Hexis comes out with a new matte black that’s doesn’t require laminating. Even though I’d already wrapped the rear bumper, I order the Hexis and started over.

Love the Hexis!

carreragt7

Six months ago I planned to wrap my son’s car in matte black and was trying to decide between Oracal and Hexis. I received a good size sample of both 970 RA & H-20000 (samples were not matte black) and wrapped a rear side panel and corner onto the bumper, with each. I liked the conformability of the Hexis much better, but their matte black didn’t come pre-laminated, so I ordered the Oracal.

Six months later, when I finally get around to wrapping the car, Hexis comes out with a new matte black that’s doesn’t require laminating. Even though I’d already wrapped the rear bumper, I order the Hexis and started over.

Love the Hexis!

Any pics? Thanks for the info!

carreragt7

It's only have done, plan on wrapping it up this weekend... but will post photo when finished.

That would be greatly appreciated. If you wouldn't mind taking a few close up pics of the material that would be nice; I've noticed some vinyls have different textures than I'd expect. I'm assuming the matte is a pretty smooth texture, correct?

Thanks again!

GypsyGraphics

I think Hexis calls their's super matte, it's slightly less shiny than the Oracal. It looks like black licorice... yum!

I haven't pulled the Oracal off the rear bumper yet, so maybe tomorrow in the light of day, i'll take a close-up of the bumper and stick a piece of Hexis on too.

Then i'll start a new thread with the finished job.

Last edited:
I have some pics of the Hexis.

Attachments

• DSC_0139.jpg
    DSC_0139.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 571

GypsyGraphics

Hey Gigi, where do you get the Hexis from? I may have a project for that.

Hi Doug... I get mine directly from Hexis... call Valerie, she'll hook you up. She's great, tell her I sent you.

Valerie Gallant
Sales Manager | Hexis USA LLC
Toll Free: 888.284.3947

carreragt7

Thanks for the info everyone! Didn't realize so many people had responded, the notification system on here is different than most forums I'm a member of.

The Hexis does seem a lot flatter, but I'll reserve my judgment until I see the pics of it on a car.

Thanks again!

perimage

Matte Black Wrap on my Orange and White Volkswagen GTI, Ft Lauderdale, Florida

The black matte in the middle is the Oracal Matte Lamination. We printed the black on 3951 rapid release and laminated with Oracal Black Matte lamination.

Even though I am a bigger 3M fan when it comes to their wrap products this particular combination looks very nice. The hood takes a lot of stress from this crazy south Florida sun and road debris, and has been on here close to a year.

Oracal gets my thumbs up on their matte lamination.

Attachments

• Volkswagen GTI vehicle wrap by Car Wrap Solutions in Ft Lauderdale, Florida, hood view, black ma.jpg
    Volkswagen GTI vehicle wrap by Car Wrap Solutions in Ft Lauderdale, Florida, hood view, black ma.jpg
    438.7 KB · Views: 507
  • Volkswagen GTI vehicle wrap by Car Wrap Solutions.com in Ft Lauderdale, Florida, front corner vi.jpg
    Volkswagen GTI vehicle wrap by Car Wrap Solutions.com in Ft Lauderdale, Florida, front corner vi.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 483
  • Volkswagen GTI vehicle wrap by Car Wrap Solutions.com in Ft Lauderdale, Florida, front view blac.jpg
    Volkswagen GTI vehicle wrap by Car Wrap Solutions.com in Ft Lauderdale, Florida, front view blac.jpg
    476.5 KB · Views: 469