• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

newbie with Gerber Edge, help with setup

ego198

hello, my name is Pablo, from Spain, this is my 1st post here im looking for some help.
Sorry for my english, im learning...
ive just bought a gerber Edge system, and i have 0 experience with it and no idea how to set up and start working...is very old model, the 1st one i guess

anybody can help me and give me step by step instructions on how to set up and connect everything properly.
i guess i have all the necessary to start, ill post some pics.

Printer Gerber Edge 1 model is LE i guess
Plotter GSX Plus
Notebook i was told to put Win98 in order to work with old software program, i have ibm thinkpad with w98
i have 3 cables but in mot sure if this are the genuine ones...ill show you.
and this 2 pieces, blue and gray, i dont know the name in English, called "mochila" in Spanish, with Serial number and i guess the software inside¿?
also the cds with Graphix Advantage 6.2, prior to Omega i guess, as you can see.

i have no idea how to connect and set up, this is my very first time i put mi hands in this wonderful machines.
i read the gerber manual pdf but is very confusing to me..if someone please colud help me i would be very thankful.
Thanks in advance.

Hm4jmxF.jpg

PPbeIyd.jpg

jVW950p.jpg

pnFPHks.jpg

this is the soft i was given and the 2 pieces i dont were should be connected

NiZRCq7.jpg

L6tchXW.jpg

7N1AsId.jpg

and these are the 3 cables, as you can see they got like a "G" from gerber logo, but i dont know if they are genuine ones cause the seller gave like 10 cables..i choose these 3...

KgRmnx2.jpg

6309B85.jpg

K7LN7ep.jpg

ego198

Does that Laptop have both a serial and printer port?

Why don't you get the person that sold it to you help get it set-up.

Hello,
Yes it has both serial and parallel,25 and 9 pin. Connection should not be an issue.

Its a long story...it came.from a sign company the first owner who bought the machine sold the company to my friend..and my friend never used it..he upgraded to other machine and sitted away this machine in a corner for years until i came and buy it last week...

ego198

Does it even work, sitting around for years? Hope you didn't pay no more then 50 euros even that's to much.

how can i check it?
I dont really know , i ve heard these machines you can let them around for years and keep on working after that but i dont know i need to set up everything correctly...

Jburns

Hello,

So do the following:
1. Load the software, then plug in the Blue Key when prompted. Do not plug in the key until prompted.
2. The first cable connects to the printer, then the computer.
3. the second cable you are holding connects to the plotter.- the other end goes to the COM1 port on the computer.
4. you will have to learn the software ( see help section in the software.
5. run a print test on the machine - with vinyl and foil loaded - press setup again and again, until you get to TEST PRINT- then select Block or number 5
6. Press the hidden print key - between the setup and slew key, - Press reset after 5 seconds of printing- Note: you do not have to have the printer connected to the computer for this.

ego198

Hello,

So do the following:
1. Load the software, then plug in the Blue Key when prompted. Do not plug in the key until prompted.
2. The first cable connects to the printer, then the computer.
3. the second cable you are holding connects to the plotter.- the other end goes to the COM1 port on the computer.
4. you will have to learn the software ( see help section in the software.
5. run a print test on the machine - with vinyl and foil loaded - press setup again and again, until you get to TEST PRINT- then select Block or number 5
6. Press the hidden print key - between the setup and slew key, - Press reset after 5 seconds of printing- Note: you do not have to have the printer connected to the computer for this.

hi and thanks for your help Jburns,

ive been trying this evening and i dont know if ive done well, i ve installed the graphix advantage cd, now i get a program called "Composer" and "gaplot32 "also another programs spectatron and to digitalize and scan etc...
ok. when i was installaing under "set up" i was asked to add a printer and a plotter.
as you can see i added Gerber Edge 1 printer as LPT1 thats seems to be ok.
but then i was asked to add plotter and my plotter is GSXPlus and is not on the list i added GSX15plus in COM1 ok. maybe this is no good.

i ve tried a sample job called Jake, you can see, first printing with gerber and it came ok, good quality,

NVZbVnB.jpg

L03sNJC.jpg

but then i tried to send it to plotter GSXPlus to cut and i got a error comunication with plotter and i can not cut it. something is wrong but i dont know where to check...anybody please give me any clue...thank you.when i send to cut from gaplot32 to the plotter the program Gerber spooler shows error comunicating and cut does not start..

first time i added GSX15plus in com1, but my plotter is GSXplus is not listed, then i tried again adding also GSX15 to see if that was the mistake, but anything happened, keep the device error...

VPvVHpL.jpg

Device error

4tJFI2r.jpg

how are the dongles supossed to be connected? like this or this is wrong way? should i connect just one or both?
shouldnt be always connected maybe?

2SocFAH.jpg

ego198

think ive solved problem with plotter error, i searched among all the cables my friend gave me (10 cables) and i found another serial cable, this is it.
plug this new cable et voila, the plotter is moving and no error again..so it was the cable i guess, this one is just 3 pins as you can see and works well no error, and the other one was complete with all the pins and gave the comunication error....
ZrUrPwf.jpg

ego198

Tomorrow i will keep struggling with trial and error..hope i will get the set up properly. Thank you.

Jburns

Cool - yes the gerber plotter cable only uses those pins. Looks like you are on the right track!
The Edge model you have is an LE- its old but pretty reliable.
Also clean the silver rails on the plotter, and put some light oil on them - such as 3 in 1.

ego198

Cool - yes the gerber plotter cable only uses those pins. Looks like you are on the right track!
The Edge model you have is an LE- its old but pretty reliable.
Also clean the silver rails on the plotter, and put some light oil on them - such as 3 in 1.

Yes yes thank you Jburns..ive cutted a test print and 1 sample and cuts pretty well so its been a very good day..from 0 experience no idea to almost on the right track..im very very happy . Tomorrow i will keep working with it and will see..im thinking of upgrading to omega in the future...

ego198

hello friedns, how are you doing?
im playing with my gerber and getting used to graphix advantage, ive done some jobs and very happy with the machine, awesome, fast, reliable and strong!, what a piece of equipment!! i wish i had a fx!!!!$$$!!!!!

i ve just ordered one of this, the rubber roller from the plotter,

Gerber Plotter GS GSX Plus Bail Arm Repair Rubber Roller HS Edge Printer Foil 15 | eBay

cause mine the black rubber is isticky and seems like it is disintegrating..you understand what i mean?
i guess cause it is very old the rubber....got to clean it and put the new rubber on the metal

JSzbfcj.jpg

MeoIIky.jpg

also ive checked my gerber edge printer shocks and they fail and i have to put my head in front of the cover while i load cartridges hahaha good solution! in the future maybe i order shocks....is there any instructions or youtube video on how to change the shocks..for newbies i mean..thanks in advance guys!

ego198

other issue that disturb me is that graphix advantage composer software to work in the notebook gerber edge printer should be connected, if the machine is off you can not load and work with graphix advantage composer, is this usual?

Billct2

The shocks can be purchased at an automotive parts store. They are fairly simple to replace.
Be sure to clean the printhead with only wipes made for cleaning electronic printheads, they are used on barcode readers and other devices so readily available.
Always clean the head by gently wiping after use.
And wipe the rails with machine oil as Jburns suggested. Also wipe the cutter head where it sits in the holder. There may also be a point to oil the head.
Good luck.

Billct2

You can't use the software unless the printer is turned on? That is not right. You should be able to design and save jobs any time, as long as the dongle is installed.

Jburns

Yes that roller does degrade over time. As for the shocks- I use one of these to mount new ones - it compresses the shock so you can mount it.
No- I can operate composer with the machines off.

Attachments

• Irwin Clamp.jpg
    Irwin Clamp.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 289

ego198

The shocks can be purchased at an automotive parts store. They are fairly simple to replace.
Be sure to clean the printhead with only wipes made for cleaning electronic printheads, they are used on barcode readers and other devices so readily available.
Always clean the head by gently wiping after use.
And wipe the rails with machine oil as Jburns suggested. Also wipe the cutter head where it sits in the holder. There may also be a point to oil the head.
Good luck.

thanlk you very much mate, yes, the other day i cleaned the rails with isopropylic alcohol ( no residue) and oiled with 3&1, that was good!
the seller also gave me a box with some wipes to cleah the printhead, the are from gerber and tyey are small wipes or towels i guess with isoprop alcohol also.

i will do the cleans as gerber manual indicates.

ego198

You can't use the software unless the printer is turned on? That is not right. You should be able to design and save jobs any time, as long as the dongle is installed.

yes, if i dont turn on the printer the graphix advantge does not load in the notebook..¿? i ve been these days playing with the software and in my opinion it is ok, i mean is not failling or doing strange things..this is the only issue that disturbs me...i will check it again maybe i did something wrong..thanks Billct2