• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

nice wooden looking arch with capstone

theartdept

A client of mine wants me to help him make a sign for his new practice and showed me a picture of one he liked. I do not know where to get/how to make the arched piece at the top of this sign.

I would appreciate any advice or info on what these are called or where to get them. Thanks!

sign.jpg sign.jpg

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
If you want a real wood one I have about a hundred real wood arches here.... it would however probably be expensive to ship one. They vary in length, radius, width, and thickness. I have them in poplar and mahogany. When we bought this property a couple of years ago it used to be a millwork and they were left here. Some of the larger ones would easily cost over a grand to have made. I have been selling them locally for $50 to $150 each. They are custom made glue-lam from many thinner pieces. For use outdoors they would need to be well sealed. I stood 3 on end here and made a barrel front wall with them and clear acrylic to make a special room for our Mimaki printer to contain the fumes and eliminate dust in there. :)

Here are a few of them as well as the print room.

Attachments

• IMG_2449a.jpg
    IMG_2449a.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2632a.jpg
    IMG_2632a.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 92

Billct2

What is the "wood look" you refer to? In the pic it just looks like a painted finish, is actually a varnished wood?

theartdept

What is the "wood look" you refer to? In the pic it just looks like a painted finish, is actually a varnished wood?

I guess you're right. Just the color of it made me think wood. I don't know if this sign is actually made of wood on the arch - I've been told by several people it's probably foam.

Mosh

That face has a gloss shine finish to it from the look of your photo. I can't see and wood grain in the pic either.
Aluminum will outlast foam, but the foam would work too (until a mover throws a few rocks into it...)