• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Nifty Tip - Save some $$ on patterns

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I was looking back at all the Gemini orders we placed and those patterns add up.

Get a roll of tyvek from Uline and make your own.

I cut a sharpie and use it to draw the pattern on the tyvek (pen doesn't work well)

Gemini will send you the file.

At $80 a pop, those patterns add up... cost me $10 in material and a few minutes of time.

20210226_125426.jpg
20210226_125405.jpg

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
That's good for small interior stuff, but having the tyvek is very nice when you are outside in a bucket truck putting up a 30' long pattern in the wind. It doesn't tear or get wet.

2B

Gemini will send the file? That's the first I've heard of that

Exactly my thoughts,
Will be taking advantage of this on the next order.

to the OP,
Yes, the "new" pounce pattern cost does add up but we have always placed this cost in the estimate and the end customer covers the expense.

MikePro

aye, but for the price of tyvek from Uline... you can get two rolls of 13oz banner material and still have money leftover for beer!
i currently upgrade my outdoor installs to banner media unless I'm plotting on paper and spray mounting it to coroplast for even more rigidity when drilling masonry.

Solid option, however, to essentially pay yourself by producing your own patterns. Added bonus of having a record of the work you completed, if anything to sell your client a $100+ pattern 5 years from now when they revamp/relocate or upsell your lettering project by providing your client with a digital copy on the back-end.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Nice idea with the banner material. I do the Tyvek because it's lightweight but banner is a smart idea too. Yes, it's good to have the patterns on file incase something happens or customer wants to move. I never knew they would send you the file but after I saw the $90 charge for a 2'x4' pattern I called them up and said why is it so expensive and asked if they could e-mail me the file.

And yes, I always just charge the customer for the pattern... I look at the bottom line of the invoice and mark up from there so I never really noticed how much the patterns were costing me. The last order I placed was for two small signs... 4' long and noticed the pattern was $90. I went back and looked at the last 10 or so orders and noticed I'm paying $50-$160 for patterns, with most of them costing $90. Is it a ton of $$?? Not in the big scheme of things, but it's something I can print off easy for very little $$ and with the added bonus of having the file on hand incase something happens. Something about being able to make the pattern myself give me added security.

Andy D

Ironicly, I had exactly the same idea a couple weeks ago. I called Gemini up & asked them about that & was told it would be the same price for the digital file as getting an actual pattern?!?!

Something I have been doing that has been saving me hundreds of dollars an order, is having Gemini and A.R.K. Ramos
both quote projects... 75% of the time
A.R.K. Ramos has been a good bit cheaper. If they are high on part of the things quoted, like a plaque, I have even used both on one project.
https://arkramos.com/catalog/

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Tex how come you didn't post any of your 'Nifty Tips' during the Texas Cold Snap? Seems like they would have been a lot easier to see in those low temps.

John Miller

Nice idea with the banner material. I do the Tyvek because it's lightweight but banner is a smart idea too. Yes, it's good to have the patterns on file incase something happens or customer wants to move. I never knew they would send you the file but after I saw the $90 charge for a 2'x4' pattern I called them up and said why is it so expensive and asked if they could e-mail me the file.

And yes, I always just charge the customer for the pattern... I look at the bottom line of the invoice and mark up from there so I never really noticed how much the patterns were costing me. The last order I placed was for two small signs... 4' long and noticed the pattern was $90. I went back and looked at the last 10 or so orders and noticed I'm paying $50-$160 for patterns, with most of them costing $90. Is it a ton of $$?? Not in the big scheme of things, but it's something I can print off easy for very little $$ and with the added bonus of having the file on hand incase something happens. Something about being able to make the pattern myself give me added security.

I use Gemini for projects that we can't do in house for a profit, but several of their policies have turned me off in the last few years. One of the factors that made me buy our CNC machine was their policy of charging for shipping based on the cost of your order. When I asked them why shipping was figured that way I was told it was easier for them. So... they don't care if it costs us more as long as it's easier on their end. When we make acrylic letters we cut them face down and mill shallow pockets where the stud pads are glued. Each recurring letter has the stud pads in the same places so there is no need to number the letters. I buy stud pads of various sizes by the hundreds. A stocking order often is $400-500. They come to me in a padded envelop that could be sent express mail for $20 or less. Based on Gemini's shipping formula I pay several times that. In the grand scheme of things, it's small potatoes but it still burns me.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
I use Gemini for projects that we can't do in house for a profit, but several of their policies have turned me off in the last few years. One of the factors that made me buy our CNC machine was their policy of charging for shipping based on the cost of your order. When I asked them why shipping was figured that way I was told it was easier for them. So... they don't care if it costs us more as long as it's easier on their end. When we make acrylic letters we cut them face down and mill shallow pockets where the stud pads are glued. Each recurring letter has the stud pads in the same places so there is no need to number the letters. I buy stud pads of various sizes by the hundreds. A stocking order often is $400-500. They come to me in a padded envelop that could be sent express mail for $20 or less. Based on Gemini's shipping formula I pay several times that. In the grand scheme of things, it's small potatoes but it still burns me.
We have Gemini ship on our UPS account - it costs way less that way. They tole me they implemented the shipping policy because many people complained about "unknown" shipping costs.

CanuckSigns

I understand what you are saying, but playing devils advocate for a minute, the shipping price based on $ value makes the shipping cost easy to figure out when you are pricing jobs with the book.

We get a ton of plaques done by Gemini and there are times the shipping charge has been higher than expected, but at least I know the shipping cost up front and I can add it into the cost.

I recently did 4 cast aluminum plaques for a client in Yellowknife yukon, Gemini shipped them directly to my client for less than half of what it would have cost me to ship, so some times it works in your favor as well.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I understand what you are saying, but playing devils advocate for a minute, the shipping price based on $ value makes the shipping cost easy to figure out when you are pricing jobs with the book.

We get a ton of plaques done by Gemini and there are times the shipping charge has been higher than expected, but at least I know the shipping cost up front and I can add it into the cost.

I recently did 4 cast aluminum plaques for a client in Yellowknife yukon, Gemini shipped them directly to my client for less than half of what it would have cost me to ship, so some times it works in your favor as well.

I agree with you... I like the flat rate based on amount. For what I order, I usually end up ahead... most of what I get is large letters / logos the are freighted. You can't beat $50-$60 for crates freighted.... Maybe all the smaller orders help subsidize my big ones.

SignEST

I've made well over a hundred thousand letters by now. Worked as an installer for a couple of years too and always hated messing around with the paper and vinyl patterns. Since I was such a one man shitshow I started making solid patterns. I cut the outline of letter set+ logo from coroplast($8 sheet) with pinholes in it, put it on the wall with a level and few pieces of tape or screws it is 100% waterproof. Show the customer exactly where it would be. Time saved from this method was worth a lot more than $8 sheet of coroplast.

I really started hating paper patterns when when a 90' pattern tore in half and broke off the wall . Then got a pilots license proceeding flying down a hill while we're on the lift. We were 10 hours from our shop installing 1/2 thick 6ft tall aluminium letters. Solid pattern would have been able to be screwed to the wall and removed easily afterwards. This is only viable if your business can do the whole job or you have a local vendor supplying you.

Exact same method works for letters without pins except this time it's push through style pattern. Leave it with the customer and tell them to peel it the next morning once the adhesive is set.

This is sign shop life in the big city where material cost is negligible and time is everything so your personal mileage will vary.

signage

Tex using sharpi's in a plotter isn't anything new, these were first used as plotter for engineering drawings.

Agree with Sign EST much easier, less time spent installing more money for your pockets.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I dont really see how coro will help make things much faster in my situation. If I'm doing a 30-40' sign...you're talking about 3-4 sheets of Coloplast I have to take up in the bucket and mount on the wall....vs taking a roll of tyvek and rolling it out, not spending time going up and down on bucket.

signage

That fine if you don't agree, some of us have been doing it longer than you, and most likely have tried most of the ways.