• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Nightmare....glue...help

So any ideas as to the best way to remove the dirty sun baked glue off the 53' trailer???
By the way the other side is worse............

The client wants me to wrap it.

Thanks all

Attachments

• glue trailer       .jpg
    glue trailer .jpg
    843.2 KB · Views: 385

henryz

I've used both citristrip from Home Depot and vinyl-off 10-4. You need to work it in but it does the trick.

2B

+1 to turning the job away, this (if done correctly) will be very costly just for removal.

send the trailer to a body shop, have them sandblast it off and paint it.
as it stands that looks like aluminum that has started to oxidize and which runs the risk of premature vinyl failure.

we have used a high pressure heated spray unit in the past. MAJOR PAIN IN THE A$$,

BobM

I would do a small test area with Rapid Remover and a larger plastic scraper. If that works, multiply size and time and chemical. Next try a wall paper steamer. Again, time & materials.
It is just a question of how much time it takes, how much material, and the relative value of the finished product to the customer. Don't get hooked into fixed price quote. Once the customer sees how much work it is, they can make their own value call.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We bought a milder form of a stripping agent and sprayed it on the trailer and then pressure washed it off in a case like this once. A hot water pressure washer would make it easier also, just make sure you don't do it near your building or vehicles or it will be covered in boogers, lol.

So what do you figure $3000--4000 to sandblast and paint?
I was thinking 3 -4 days with 3 or 4 men and the 55 gal drum.......and charge $3500

not worth it?

equippaint

Sandblasting wont take off all of the adhesive. It leaves little adhesive balls all over. For an aluminum trailer, to do it right (strip and paint) it would be closer to 6k if it didnt have the mess all over it. I honestly wouldnt do the job if they brought it to us to paint it. You can buy a decent used van trailer for a good price and sell that one to someone for storage. Id be real concerned with the wrap coming off of it if it wasnt painted or if it wasnt repainted properly too.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
We had pretty good luck with this:
Citristrip 1 qt. Safer Paint and Varnish Stripping Gel-QCG73801T - The Home Depot
on a fuel taker trailer that had Controltac burned into the paint.
It's biodegradable- citrus based so you can put it on ice and drink it during the removal.

But I am with the others.
The best way to remove that is to have the tractor head pull it out of your shop at a quick but safe rate of speed.

wayne k
guam usa

Last edited:

CanuckSigns

not to sound like a hack or anything, but could you not wrap over it and use a matte laminate to cut down on how much the underlying stuff shows through? Depending on what the intentions are for the wrap it might be the most cost effective method, just make sure you explain it properly to your customer.

TimToad

So what do you figure $3000--4000 to sandblast and paint?
I was thinking 3 -4 days with 3 or 4 men and the 55 gal drum.......and charge $3500

not worth it?
Are you a signmaking shop or a body repair shop?

Do you not have the experience, other work or courage to properly advise your customer on what they need to do to get it right so your new graphics stand a better chance of adhering properly?

What kind of a crew do you have that you would subject them to a lousy week's worth of garbage work like this?

Do you have any idea how much enough Vinyl Off, Rapid Remover, etc. to do the job would cost?

equippaint

Yes the post you copyed was way off.........but i just threw it out to see what response i would get.

It is more like a 7-9K job

So in hindsight, after you found out what a real company would charge to fix this mess, you take it as your own knowledge, post it as a test for the other "dummys" here, then come back and rub it in people's faces? I dont understand your reply here?? Its copied too not "copyed", please make sure you at least spell check your signs.

AKwrapguy

Take the time and remove 1sqft. Time yourself and estimate how much remover you use. Lets say that it take you 5 minutes per sqft... and if it's a 52' x 10 ft trailer that's 520 sqft. So if my math is correct it should take you about 44 hours to clean each side. Not sure what your hourly rate it is but ours is $95 an hour. So your looking at $4,180 per side. So give him an estimate to do both sides $8,360 just for removal.