• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

No Job? 10K in the bank? Start a sign business!!!!

Rebel Graphics

Divorce left me with no job, 10k, and some sign and screen print equipment (and sub contacts). Using that money to rent an office space and start all over, even if it means getting a second job to make ends meet.
Give me your blessings (or advise) guys!
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

ams

I started my sign shop with $8,000 to my name with no equipment or supplies, you can do it.

2B

its very doable, spend the money on advertising and getting your self up and running.

There are enough quality vendors out there that will do the work for close if not the same than you doing it yourself.
This leaves more time for you to design, market and sale your services / products. while you are selling they are making the products

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Divorce left me with no job, 10k, and some sign and screen print equipment (and sub contacts). Using that money to rent an office space and start all over, even if it means getting a second job to make ends meet.

Had a very similar start in 1983. Sold two jobs with 50% deposit and my stereo. Used it to make a first and last lease payments on a Gerber SignMaker III and two rolls of vinyl. Did the jobs and never looked back.

Good luck to you. Hang in there. :thumb:

Kottwitz-Graphics

Do you have any experience in the sign industry? In your original post you said there is some sign and screen equipment, but no elaboration as to if you know how to run them and be profitable. Did you have a shop previously?

There is so much more to it than just opening a door and making a million dollars. Do you have any clients that you can solicit to get you started.

There really is no way we can tell you the the correct course you should take. We have no idea of how much competition you will face, what you need a month to survive, etc...

My thought is 10 grand won't go too far when it comes to obtaining a location, getting any additional equipment to start, and giving you money for a place to live (unless you find a store front or shop location with living quarters).

player

so you are saying I should go find a job instead?

I would suggest you find a more profitable way to make a living. Unless you have years of sign making skills and knowledge and are in love with the business, you may find it is a good way to work way too many hours for no money at all. Just a friendly warning. At this time in your life you might want to do something that is a direct path to the money... If not, good luck!

OldPaint

$10K..............LEAVE IT IN THE BANK.......GET A JOB.......DOING SOMETHING RELATED TO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO......secure a location to call home.......with a garage/shop attached. set up the screen/sign stuff and see if you can sell some.......dont drop any money into it unless you coan see some return.........that 10K will keep you......up and running.......and see how much extra work you can generate............THEN THINK BOUT a store front once you got some clients and have had some experiance with the idiots who are gona try to beat you up on price, want it yesterday and want you to do schit for free......for their kids)))))))))))

ironchef

$10K..............LEAVE IT IN THE BANK.......GET A JOB.......DOING SOMETHING RELATED TO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO......secure a location to call home.......with a garage/shop attached. set up the screen/sign stuff and see if you can sell some.......dont drop any money into it unless you coan see some return.........that 10K will keep you......up and running.......and see how much extra work you can generate............THEN THINK BOUT a store front once you got some clients and have had some experiance with the idiots who are gona try to beat you up on price, want it yesterday and want you to do schit for free......for their kids)))))))))))
bump, what old paint said

bilge

I could work for you free couple of months if you wish.

royster13

In most areas if you go out and "knock on doors" that will put you way ahead of most of your competitors that just wait for the business to come to them....Good luck...

bjt140

Little different than you, but I started my engraving business with roughly 500 in the bank and my goal was to make shop rent and cover some food. If I had a good month or two I justified a haircut! If you're good for long underpaid hrs and the Taco Bell dollar menu you can do it! It's all about the work ethic and product in my opinion.

Good luck I hope you kick some a**!

reQ

10k is plenty i think, considering you already have some equipment + you can always outsource whatever you want. And yes, knock on doors & build client base & it will take time.

SignosaurusRex

2X:thumb: for what 'Old Paint' said.

Just my added 2¢...
First off... Determine whether or not it's what you really want to do. Do you really enjoy it? Do you believe that you have what it takes and can make it work?
If so... or, if not, either case, you are correct.
Establish goals and steps to each goal. Establish Allies. Discipline yourself. Work as hard as you can...and then more. Make it a career, rather than a hobby. Educate yourself... Eat, sleep, drink and breath every aspect of your business. Always be friendly, fair and honest...level of service and quality RULE! Don't burn any bridges as you go forward. Establish and know your fair and proper prices... if you are too high, or to low, you will burn bridges and you might as well leave town now. Go after the work rather than waiting for it to come to you.

Best of luck to you!

visual800

if you have 10k why would you pi$$ it away on equipment? Once its gone it aint coming back

sub your stuff out, save your money try that for awhile and see how it works and sell all that old equipment you have

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A door closes......... let it closed. Open a door which looks promising. Rememebr, many people say, don't let the door hit you on the way out. Sit tight for a while and look deep into yourself. What do you see ?? Did your work habits or business contribute to the divorce ?? Make sure this sign stuff is what you really wanna do. You're gonna meet new people and make new friends and if you drop your last cent into this place, you might miss a new oppurtunity. Life is all about taking chances and making the best of your situation. Look around and see if there is some place to work, somewhat connected to this industry, but don't lock yourself in and set yourself up for ruin.

Good luck and enjoy life and leave the past behind you. :thumb:

TheSnowman

Anything is doable. I bought a business that had already been around 25 years and all new equipment to the tune of around $75,000 and know I didn't have much over $1,000 in the bank at the time. It's about like any business, the first 5 years will make you or break you, but I survived and it's been a good thing in my life so far.

I've got zero motivation to go out and knock on doors, and I hate it when people come by trying to drum up business wasting my time when I didn't call them to come by so that's probably why I have no ambition to do that. That's the reason I bought one that had already been established in the community. It costs more out of the gate, but I knew I'd have some sort of flow of work coming in w/o doing any advertising.

I'm with everyone else, sub stuff out till you make sure it's going to flow for you. The internet wasn't what it is today when I started, and I didn't have all these great options we do now. You either did it in house, or you didn't do it on most jobs. Now, when I get busy, even I'm using those subs to keep up, and it works great.