• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

no more postscript font support in Adobe CC software in 2023

WildWestDesigns

For those of us that have been using Postscript type 1 fonts for so many years it will render those fonts useless in 2023.

Yea, I would say that unless you have programs that you can use that access fonts directly without needing them to be installed system fonts (the two programs that I use that are like that are Blender and Godot, just mentioning those for examples only), pretty much going to have to modernize your collection of those fonts or hopefully got your money out of them and can retire them.

Or if you have an older OS with an older version of Adobe, could VM and use them that way, just probably have to convert to curves for bringing them to any newer version of Adobe.

FrankW

There are some services on the web who converts postscript fonts to open type. Not shure about the quality, but you could give it a try (search for example for „convert ps fonts to otf“ will show up several websites)

WildWestDesigns

There are some services on the web who converts postscript fonts to open type. Not shure about the quality, but you could give it a try (search for example for „convert ps fonts to otf“ will show up several websites)

Be aware that may violate the EULA that is attached to those fonts that one is wanting to convert.

Just something to think about.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Yes there are free and paid solutions but it sure will become a nuisance opening up old files, converting the files that have live fonts in them and doing it one at a time

WildWestDesigns

Yes there are free and paid solutions but it sure will become a nuisance opening up old files, converting the files that have live fonts in them and doing it one at a time

I would look into seeing if Ai CC allows for scripting to do this and if it would be able to be run via the CLI (even if the script takes one awhile to come up with everything, ROI is quick if there are a lot of files to perform this operation on). Inkscape can do this since .92 and being able to run scripts like this makes for short work of this type of operation.

If that isn't possible, look to see what editing capabilities Bridge has (or some other similar batch processing software that can handle Ai files).

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
There are rumblings Microsoft may remove support for Postscript Type 1 fonts in Windows. I remember a previous Windows update a couple or so years ago disabling all the T1 fonts I had installed in the Fonts folder. Another update allowed T1 fonts to be installed again. I don't use Microsoft Office, but my understanding is T1 fonts haven't worked in Office for several years.

Anyway, even without Adobe's recent announcement, it's already obvious the T1 font format has been living on borrowed time for the last decade.

FontLab's TransType4 application looks promising. It can batch convert folders of T1 fonts into OTF, as well as do other kinds of font conversions. The only limitation it appears to have is old Type 1 Multiple Master fonts are not supported.

rjsigns said:
It's why Flexi is my go to and I bought Affinity Designer. I need to get in more practice with Affinity products. The small amount I've worked with Designer has shown it to be good for my needs.

SAi needs to get Flexi out of the 1990's regarding its type handling. I took Flexi off my computer back in the early 2000's and put the key on another production computer. We have 3 Flexi licenses, but they're all used for output, not design. I do nearly all my full size sign design work within CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator. Both now support all the features of OpenType and the newer OpenType Variable format. Illustrator supports SVG fonts too.

Affinity Designer is a decent vector drawing program in relation to the low price. It works on Windows, OSX and iPad OS. It at least supports all the features of the standard OpenType format. As of version 1.9.1 it still doesn't properly support OTF Variable fonts. Only the basic weight of OTF Var fonts will show and there are no axis sliders. Inkscape now supports Variable fonts though. I'm waiting to see what Vectornator will do with the version 4.0 release at the end of the month.