• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

non-English Signs

Grumpy1

I want to expand my market by offering signs in foreign (non-english) format. This would include Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Korean, Turkish, Arab, etc. My question is where can I find the correct vocabulary, syntax, or whatever you call it for signs such as "Enter Here", "Welcome" as well as a host of common quotations and homilies such as "Home, Sweet Home", Home is where the Hearth Is", etc. I have tried various translation dictionaries, software, and books from the library but am not satisfied with any of them.

Any Ideas?

digitalwoodshop

I did some elevator smashed finger 3 language signs for the Palm Beach Post Newspaper before they shut down printing. They supplied the text... I Sublimated them on Aluminum.

When at Sony we did some multi language signs and for one translation we contacted the San Diego State University and got help from the Language Dept.

In my Navy days in Hong Kong a guy was drunk and pissed off the Tattoo guy.... Girls would laugh when they saw his tatoo..... It was not what he expected....

AL

Attachments

• DSC07388_WEB.jpg
    DSC07388_WEB.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC07394_WEB.jpg
    DSC07394_WEB.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 105

ProWraps

http://www.engrish.com/

i reary ruv the brog.

my fiance has a kanji tattoo of "beautiful" that she got before we got together. we spent HOURS online trying to find the character for "beautiful" to make sure it was what she thought. err. ehh. no such luck. i think it means something like "toaster" or "kitchen appliance". doh!

Keith Rae

Interpreter

Great examples of what you don't want. Even the best translating software gets things wrong or in the wrong text, every language has different grammatical rules that when you just translate the word the rules get missed. Get them translated by a person who is fluent in both English and whatever other language you need. A source for translators are schools that teach English as a second language from both students or teachers. The foreign worker that works at the burger shop or restaurant. You can call your local government office and get a contact person they use as an interpreter. But whatever you get interpreted get it checked out by some other person to double check so your work doesn't end up a joke on the internet.

Mosh

We do signs for a packing plant. English, Spanish and Aribic. They supply the Aribic symbols, we alway joke that it really says "kill the infedels".

diverscott

A good avenue is to use a bi-lingual translator. When I was stationed in Korea, I had a friend who I met who turned out to be a U.S. civilian missionary. He worked part time for local Korean companies translating their instruction manuals and packaging materials into English, as well as teaching in schools. He said guys like him almost NEVER turned down translation jobs because they literally worked on a shoestring budget. A lot of immigrants, here in the U.S. are happy to do similar projects because it helps people understand a little about their culture, etc...

Definately be careful to use a well-versed person, though. I've found that bar girls typically do not make good translators - no offense to anyone intended. Some speak "pidgen English" and their interpretation for "Welcome" could be the foreign equivalent of "Yo!". "Restroom" might translate to "Potty" or "Water Closet" and so on. So, definately screen your assistant to make sure they're using the proper formality and literal translation for the message you want to convey. A welcome sign in a lawyer's office in Korea might say "An yong ha shim ni ka", where the same sign at a flea market might say "An young ha say o" depending on formality. Language teachers with a high degree of English fluency are a good choice.

diverscott

One other thought on foreign signage is to determine cultural use and government regulations. Here in the U.S., we have a ton of ADA laws that pretty much tell us what signs need to say and how they need to be laid out. Other countries don't typically use the same format; if they regulate signage at all. To use another example from my military service in Korea: restroom signage. In Korea, any lettering at all (even Sharpie marker) seems to be the accepted norm. BUT, there are a few other challenges. A "real" sign might say (in Hangul) "Ha jong sil" or "Restroom". There may not be a "Men's restroom" or a "women's restroom" all the time, since they often share the same facility. Seperate restrooms for men and women are more of a western ideal that's seen more and more often, yet isn't completely adopted throughout the country.

Other examples were a restaurant named "Donkey Fried Chicken" (guess the cook has long ears) and their famous "Crunky" candy bar, which is REALLY good, by the way (so good that you're willing to forget that it was supposed to be "Crunchy").

Storefront signage is just off the wall over there. Anything western looking or sounding is fair game to be a store name. We had stores named "Yahoo.com" that sold girls fasion accessories (similar to a Claire's) and a lot of other stuff that you just can't predict, let alone translate properly.