• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Noob Routing Questions

daenterpri

Hey guys!

Just got our Summa F1612 this last week and I'm really having fun diving into routing. I have a couple questions:

- Are there good sources for purchasing sacrificial porous mats? Summa sells a roll of "milling mat" and it's quite expensive. Looks like a soft foam to me. They also sell a protective mat that isn't as long. Seems like it would be nice to find a cheaper source for these items if possible.

- The router used on the F1612 is a Kress. Any idea where I could get imperial collets for it?

- What bits would you recommend for the following: Gator Foam, Di-Bond, Sintra Board. I've been reading that people really like the Onsrud bits, but I'm curious what particular models and sizes people like.

- Are there other sign boards that make for easy, cool looking signs by simply routing out a logo?

Thanks!

Ditchmiester

I would say onsrud tools are very good but they are a little on the expensive side. They have fantastic tech support if you call up and tell them what you are trying to cut and the capabilities of your router RPM and Speed they can almost always suggest a tool and speeds and feeds for it.

If you want to save a little money check out Harvey Tools. They also have great support and are very helpful. They don't sell direct but if you call them up they will tell you what tools to use and can tell you if their supplier in your area has them in stock or not.

As for what other kinds of boards we mostly route aluminum and brass/muntz in our shop and do very little on the plastic side.

ChrisN

Check out cutguru.com. They offer several types of underlay materials. Right now we are using the aquiline underlay for our Kongsberg table. It looks to be about the same as the Summa milling mat.

tbullo

Superunknown
Plasticrouting.com has good info, just click bit search and pick your materials. We use ultralight mdf as a spoil board for our vacuum table.