• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

noob to the entire industry here. Let the flaming begin. :)

staynedglass

First: to the admin who approved my account. You have my sincere thanks. I'm glad you saw something (however small) worth being approved.

To start yes i have a cheap chinese cutter and the free design software that came with it. Yes i work out of my house. No I don't do signs(yet) I don't feel i have the skill for it. I am currently making decals and graphics for automotive application mainly. I do some stuff for computers. I have had my machine for about a year and half now. I feel as if i have gotten down the intial know how to expand further. I am currently cutting decals to stock up on inventory for the 2011 car show season. Every weekend i will set my 10X10 easy up @ car shows and sell cut decals( no calvin or harley or nascar.......I may be a noob to the biz but i'm not completely stupid)The entire time doing this will be to build a spreadsheet to present to "THE BANK" with my profit margin, and estimated turn around on equipment. My goal is to open my doors to my shop in 2 years. By that point i feel that i will have networked and learned enough to OPEN(not stay open, that's an ever learning and changing experience) my storefront.

I have very thick skin and i give as good as i get. If you just feel the need to noob bash go right ahead i'll bash back. If you have constuctive criticism please by all means tell me. I'll mainly be searching the boards and not posting too terribly much. So far from what i've seen by lurking just about all of my questions have been anwered at some point.Yes i can use the search function.

Thanks for the site and everyone that contributes. :rock-n-roll:

SignManiac

Sounds to me like you've got a good handle on things already. Read, ask and learn...Oh and try not to get into discussions about conspiracy theories!

anotherdog

Welcome,
Why 2 years before you open your shop, is this a part time thing?
I do like your honesty though.

Don't knock the calvin market, I see a couple of those every week.

staynedglass

That bug looks cool.
Thanks. built it myself. It will be the "shop" vehicle if you want bigger pics i can link em
Welcome,
Why 2 years before you open your shop, is this a part time thing?
I do like your honesty though.

Don't knock the calvin market, I see a couple of those every week.

It's 2 years exactly because it's part time. I currently work 2 jobs. Day job as a mechanic. I hate it because i love working on MY cars and i just don't want to when i get home. Night job as a pizza delivery guy. Technically 3 if you include the vinyl work. So all in all i'm pulling about 80 hours a week. I'd love to be able to devote that much to to MY business but i can't take the risk right now. I just got the house out of forclosure. I was 12 days away from losing it. I NEVER want to go through that again. So the plan is one year to build a spreadsheet, one year after loan and MUCH better equipment to build clientelle and get better (and pay off loan to get another one). year 2 with better equipment(payed off) and loan for storefront and to cover 6 months worth of expenses open store front. I really wished i could jump into this with both feet but i have to take it slow so i don't lose what i've already worked so hard to achieve.

SignManiac

Wes that's my bug. I'm just letting staynedglass borrow it until he can get an avatar of his own :) I'm a nice guy! Just helping out the new guy.

Patrick46

Wes that's my bug. I'm just letting staynedglass borrow it until he can get an avatar of his own :) I'm a nice guy! Just helping out the new guy.

I always did think you were a nice guy, SM!!

...helping out a poor, pathetic, noob like that!!!!! :rock-n-roll:

oh yea.......How-d from the Western waterline!!

wes70

That's big of you Maniac... you're helping noobs with sign related info... you're providing transportation and avatar help. What next? :)