• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Not just dry erase but...

Signsforwhile

Firstly, we'll be starting a project converting chalk boards to dry erase in a couple of weeks. Not sure if it should go on wet or dry, and how should the boards be prepped given the years of chalk all over them.

Second issue - they're requested that some of the boards have a graph pattern on them. I know that we can print the graph and then laminated with dry erase laminate, but not sure if normal vinyl would be receptive to the chalk board. Should we print right onto the dry erase vinyl, then laminate again with dry erase?

Thanks!

Signsforwhile

is this a white adhesive dry-erase rather than a clear dry-erase laminate?

I think for the plain retrofit boards we're going to use the R-Tape brand EZ Erase since it does have a blockout layer.

Also just noticed that the rtape can be printed on as well. Just think I'm going to have to laminate it just in case some teacher decides to clearn their board with something that can damage the print.

Mostly concerned about how to prep the boards.

J Hill Designs

yup clean clean, clean again, then stick - I'd prolly drop a test on it just to see if it sticks at all tho. - if not, maybe a quick clearcoat?

Signsforwhile

We're coming in as a new bid winner. Half the school had been done and the good word is from other teachers that it was wet applied.

Signsforwhile

Just got off the phone with RTape.....not sure if they're very confident in their product. Doesnt mention it in the Fellers catalog but they're telling me that only on brand of marker works well....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If your client is too cheap to start over and do it right, I'd clearcoat the whole thing and then apply the vinyls over top. You're gonna have trouble retrofitting a sign with all the gunk on it. The cost of cleaning, prepping and trying to make something old look good just isn't worth the time or effort vs. starting over.

We just did the exact same thing about a year ago and each store in this chain had about 22 signs of all sizes with chalk boards. I gave them a price going both ways and told them we would not stand behind the refurbished ones.

In fact, another thing to convince your customer is.... some of the chalk particles could still fall down and contaminate anything beneath it.

Signsforwhile

If your client is too cheap to start over and do it right, I'd clearcoat the whole thing and then apply the vinyls over top. You're gonna have trouble retrofitting a sign with all the gunk on it. The cost of cleaning, prepping and trying to make something old look good just isn't worth the time or effort vs. starting over.

We just did the exact same thing about a year ago and each store in this chain had about 22 signs of all sizes with chalk boards. I gave them a price going both ways and told them we would not stand behind the refurbished ones.

In fact, another thing to convince your customer is.... some of the chalk particles could still fall down and contaminate anything beneath it.

As I am not a fan of this in the first place this is a common practice around here and this particular school district has had a huge overhaul in the past couple of months like this. Previous company lost the job because of commitment issues so it went out to bid again and we picked it up. I know it's been done.

J Hill Designs

I use the hexis dry erase stuff, and any dry erase markers work...using caliber™ at the moment, but just grab any ol' one from the the store and dont have an issue