• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Not quite sure...............................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have a customer for a number of years and in the last 4 or 5 years, we've been doing the work for all of their locations. They have 3 here in PA, but have 8 more states that they work out of. All of these locations have their own trucks for deliveries and whatnot.

So far, we've done 4 trucks.... 3 for here in PA and one in Ohio. Now, we're doing one for Atlanta and it has the same DOT #s as the Ohio truck. Is that right ?? If so, why is PAs numbers different then the others ?? I thought they needed to get numbers corresponding to whatever state they are operating in.

Anybody have any knowledge on this kinda thing ??

:thankyou: Gino

TammieH

Maybe it depends on which state they have the truck registered in?

Registered in one state and used in another, possibly for insurance reasons or whatever?

ThatGuy

We have a customer for a number of years and in the last 4 or 5 years, we've been doing the work for all of their locations. They have 3 here in PA, but have 8 more states that they work out of. All of these locations have their own trucks for deliveries and whatnot.

So far, we've done 4 trucks.... 3 for here in PA and one in Ohio. Now, we're doing one for Atlanta and it has the same DOT #s as the Ohio truck. Is that right ?? If so, why is PAs numbers different then the others ?? I thought they needed to get numbers corresponding to whatever state they are operating in.

Anybody have any knowledge on this kinda thing ??

:thankyou: Gino
Our state can issue a state DOT number if the truck never leaves the state. We have a USDOT number because we travel outside the state. A USDOT number is associated with the company and it does not matter what state it resides.

signage

A USDOT number is associated with the company and it does not matter what state it resides.

This is true for all states, Pa used to have what was called PUC# but they have been done away with unless you once had them. The USDOT numbers are to be registered in the state the company is registered in. Some companies register in more that one.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not really sure how it works. It's just that 3 trucks had the same number, the last one had a different one and now this one, which is much much further away has the same number as the last one. I guess it doesn't matter. Anyway, it's not my concern. I have it in writing what they want.

signage

You do know you can enter the DOT number and findout the location and company name that owns it