• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Not sure on this anymore.........................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Have some Lithium Ion 3Ah batteries for various Makita tools. I'm charging one as we speak, but this has to do with batteries that are partially spent. I know with the old batteries, you were supposed to drain them, before charging them up again, but I was told, that's not the case with Lithium. Is that true ?? In other words, I'm not sure what kinda charge is left in the other batteries, so I'd like to charge them all ( 4 total ) today for a job tomorrow where we don't wanna be bothered having to charge a battery here or there. We're gonna be all over a building and it's kinda large. We're doing ADA signs, but I just wanna be prepared.

Any input would be appreciated.

:thankyou: Gino

Dan360

Lithium batteries don't have a charge memory like older batteries that could form false bottoms. They deteriorate over time and through charge cycles. So no need to worry

Edit: In fact I believe lithium batteries don't like to be fully discharged, I remember reading an article on phone batteries that mentioned that.

Last edited:

bannertime

Li-ion batteries should not be fully discharged. It's suggested that you should charge while it still has some juice. I always run mine till the tool stops anyway, and my dewalt batteries are around 5 years old but still kickin.

Jburns

You are correct- Lithium Ion batteries do not have a memory, and do not have to be drained to be charged.
That WAS the case with NiCd or NiMh batteries.
I remember this from my RC car days in last few years. Now Li-ion batteries cannot be discharged too low - that will damage them - if your tool was designed with that battery, then that wont happen.