• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Not sure what u call this piece

futuresigns~pa

not sure what u call this piece. does any one kn ow what its called? and where i could purchase this item?
its to punch out this hole to install pancake sockets...

Attachments

• IMG_1468.JPG
    IMG_1468.JPG
    680.2 KB · Views: 652
  • IMG_1469.JPG
    IMG_1469.JPG
    730.1 KB · Views: 595

signbrad

It's a Greenlee punch. Most sign supplies carry them in the appropriate size for the typical lampholders for HO lamps. Works with a wrench. And there are fancy ones, too, actuated by a hydraulic tool. And there are also kits with multiple size dies. But most sign shops just use the one size to make the D-shaped hole for lampholders.
Greenlee is not the only company that makes them, but it is the popular brand.
I think I got mine from N. Glantz.

Brad in Kansas City

Attachments

• Greenlee punch.jpg
    Greenlee punch.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 514

futuresigns~pa

It's a Greenlee punch. Most sign supplies carry them in the appropriate size for the typical lampholders for HO lamps. Works with a wrench. And there are fancy ones, too, actuated by a hydraulic tool. And there are also kits with multiple size dies. But most sign shops just use the one size to make the D-shaped hole for lampholders.
Greenlee is not the only company that makes them, but it is the popular brand.
I think I got mine from N. Glantz.

Brad in Kansas City

do you know what size please i would need to punch out for the pancake sockets?

futuresigns~pa

You are making your own sign cabinets? Seems like a UL shop would know the answers.
im getting into making them.. doesnt mean i know what the tool is called..its called learning things day by day!. all i asked if someone knew what it was called and where i can purchase one.. i never said i dont know how to use one...

CanuckSigns

im getting into making them.. doesnt mean i know what the tool is called..its called learning things day by day!. all i asked if someone knew what it was called and where i can purchase one.. i never said i dont know how to use one...

What everyone is getting at is that you are not legally allowed to make electrical sign components without having various certifications, such as UL, Since someone who runs a proper UL shop would most likely know what this tool is called and where to buy one most people assume you are not licenced or certified to make this type of sign...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think where the confusion stems from is your announcement of getting into this cabinet making and not knowing some of the basics. However, if you're just getting into this, are you a qualified electrician or at least the guy building them ?? If you aren't.... then you ought to be, to be a legal UL shop. Needless to say, do you even own a UL stamp capability ??

These procedures protect the customer, other sign companies doing it legally and you.... should something go wrong.

Simply having the yearning to do this to save money, time or whatever..... you still need to go through the proper channels or run the risk of getting in trouble...... big trouble.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What everyone is getting at is that you are not legally allowed to make electrical sign components without having various certifications, such as UL, Since someone who runs a proper UL shop would most likely know what this tool is called and where to buy one most people assume you are not licenced or certified to make this type of sign...

Haha.... you beat me to it. :thumb:

futuresigns~pa

I think where the confusion stems from is your announcement of getting into this cabinet making and not knowing some of the basics. However, if you're just getting into this, are you a qualified electrician or at least the guy building them ?? If you aren't.... then you ought to be, to be a legal UL shop. Needless to say, do you even own a UL stamp capability ??

These procedures protect the customer, other sign companies doing it legally and you.... should something go wrong.

Simply having the yearning to do this to save money, time or whatever..... you still need to go through the proper channels or run the risk of getting in trouble...... big trouble.
yes maybe i wasnt clear from the beginning... yes i had a guy that built lightboxes for me in house. when doing so he needed this D PUNCH. i purchased it along time ago. NOT knowing what it was called or maybe i should say the correct term for it...well now he moved and took the piece that was needed to punch out the D shape for sockets.. Im looking to hire now another gentlemen to start building boxes in house again... but before i do this i want to make sure i have all the tools again needed for the job. i dont want to bring someone in and just stand there.. i need boxes built asap.. yes i know theres KNOCKDOWNS from local distributors.BUT i rather keep in house.. so yes i was not understanding what it was called to the proper name...also yes i am looking for someone that has everything needed to build boxes...my last guy did..

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker

This was going to be my first post but I changed it to some benign... Glad someone else picked up on that

Marlene

Still not seeing in your answers if you are a UL shop or not. The reason is we all would love to knock out sign cabinets but we play by the rules. When it looks like someone isn't, we do call them out as it is only right to do so. If you are not a legal shop, no one is going to help you find tools to continue to make illegal signs.

futuresigns~pa

Still not seeing in your answers if you are a UL shop or not. The reason is we all would love to knock out sign cabinets but we play by the rules. When it looks like someone isn't, we do call them out as it is only right to do so. If you are not a legal shop, no one is going to help you find tools to continue to make illegal signs.
Yes im a Legal shop...

Rocco G

You need a "D" socket punch. A greenlee punch will give you a round hole, not the correct one for sockets as you pictured. Glantz has them on their site but who knows if they have them as stock. IIRC they go for about $300 but will last decades with heavy use. They are really only good for up to .050, maybe .063 though we've always used .040 for socket covers. I have one from my Dad that's at least 40 years old, plus a spare. They are in the Signcomp catalog too.

Oops, didn't read the whole thread. You know it's a D punch.

signbrad

Greenlee makes multiple sizes of metal punches, both for round holes and D-shape holes.
Here is a listing from their website for a punch that makes a D hole:

Greenlee 61080 Specifications:
• Hole Size: 0.625" x 0.594" (15.9mm x 15.1mm)
• Minimum Pilot Hole: .500"
• Capacity: 14 gauge mild steel

Greenlee 61080 Includes:
• Punch
• Die
• Draw Stud 34421
• Drive Nut 34733
• Counter Nut 04638

Greenlee 61080 Features:
• Maximum Capacity Mild Steel
• 14GA Mild Steel
• Operation Type: Hand/Hydraulic
• 'D' shaped Punch
• Optional adapter for hydraulic driver: 33967 (sold separately)

Greenlee 61080 'D' Punch Assembly 5/8" (.625 Diameter x .594 Flat)

futuresigns~pa

You need a "D" socket punch. A greenlee punch will give you a round hole, not the correct one for sockets as you pictured. Glantz has them on their site but who knows if they have them as stock. IIRC they go for about $300 but will last decades with heavy use. They are really only good for up to .050, maybe .063 though we've always used .040 for socket covers. I have one from my Dad that's at least 40 years old, plus a spare. They are in the Signcomp catalog too.

Oops, didn't read the whole thread. You know it's a D punch.
Thank you for the GREAT help..we use .040 for the inside ends to punch it out for the sockets... i was using a company in new jersey sending me knock downs...that was after my guy left...but with shipping it gets pricey. so now im hiring a nother guy that does light boxes for a nother company.BUT i want to make sure i have the correct tools before he comes. i never asked him about this piece. YES! he probably knew what it was called.. but i also like to learn things myself and keep things in house... i did contact glantz because they are one of my distributors..they didnt know the size and they didnt have one in stock. but hes going to try to hunt me one down...Thanks again for the great help...