• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Not what I wanted to see last night.

showcase 66

Not sure how many have heard or seen about the fires in Arizona. There is a fire about 10 miles out of town from where I live in Hualapai Mountins. The Dean Peak Fire. My parents live in the mountains and other family up there have already been evacuated.

I was staying up there, since they are out of town, to try and pack some things up and get what I can if needed. At 10:30 last night I heard loud banging on the door from the Sheriffs office saying that there is a mandatory evacuation since the fire changed directions due to a wind changes from a storm.

This was the first thing I could see from their back porch. Around 8PM all you could see was a glow and no flames.
The pic was taken from my parents neighbors security camera. They moved them to view the fire from town.

We are in a 12 year + drought right now which is not helping the situation. That and with 105+ temps, it is not making it easy on the fire fighters. We had a hot shot crew in the back yard earlier in the day creating a fire break. Some of us up there brought out some fresh water bottles and sandwiches for them. I watched them work for about 30 minutes and they did as much work in that time as I could have done with the same amount of people in about 6 hours. Very grateful for these 9 members of their team. There was 1 more guy but he was on the phone with his command when Tim (neighbor) took the pic of them.

The area that the fire is in is really rugged and has some really steep slopes and drop offs. Last night it sounded as though a member from another fire team may have fallen down a drop off. Haven't seen or heard of anything as of yet, but we heard something about it on the one officer's radio.

As of right now, it was at 5300 acres burned with 0% containment. They are hoping and expecting to have it contained by the 12 of July, but I believe they are now thinking longer. It started on June 29th.

Attachments

• security cam fire.jpg
    security cam fire.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 66
  • pleasant Vally hot shot.jpg
    pleasant Vally hot shot.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 52

fresh

Listen to what the Colorado State Climatologist say about climate change and wild fires in the midwest on This American Life a few months ago.

In the past year we've had historic hurricanes, tornadoes, and wild fires. I am one of the lucky ones in my area who didn't sustain any damage from Sandy. How many people have had their homes, businesses, and lives destroyed by "natural" disasters in the past few years?

It doesn't make it any easier, but I think we are going to have to start thinking about what on earth can get us next, and be prepared when it comes. I hope you and your friends & family are safe. Stuff can be replaced :)

CP Signs

OMG! Hope all you guys are safe,,, as hard and stressful it is,,, like mentioned, things can be replaced.