• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Notching patterns

Annette Asberg

Hi
I am wondering if there is an easier way to notch a pattern than the way we do it.
We are nothing the letters by hand and when you have over 300 letters it is not as fun as you think it could be:eek:. Every suggestion is appreciated!
20210208_101256.jpg

litewave

Using tools in a vector artwork programme like coreldraw or illustrator could likely automate this
and give you templates/plots as well.

What's purpose of these notches?

Annette Asberg

Using tools in a vector artwork programme like coreldraw or illustrator could likely automate this
and give you templates/plots as well.

What's purpose of these notches?
Thank you Litewave!
We use them as our pattern to put up individual letters like quotes and so on. Like this one IMG_20210111_173431_558.jpg
I know that you can cut of the top of the pattern and use it if you like to.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A simple pounce pattern will do ya just fine. Your cutter will make it for you, nowadays. Been using pounces for over 45 years.

litewave

@Annette Asperg

Pouncing is like putting a load of perforations usually on paper then you mark / chalk the wall to get the shape outlines...

https://www.robertsign.com/pounce-pattern-for-traditonal-signwriting/

----

Another approach to consider is using a low tack monomeric "paint mask" vinyl or any cheap vinyl with a wall friendly removable adhesive...you would forget cutting all the letter centres just cut the outlines or notches apply application tape (if required) and then apply this positioning sticker to the wall "temporarily".

Like your work...

PM if you want a demo on artworking for this sort of stuff. I can teach most the fundamentals of coreldraw in about 1hr.

Last edited:

Tessellate

Forgo all the manual labour.... we laser cut acrylic for all our dimensional letters. We simply load some 3mm cardboard into the bed and laser that out with the letters. We can then check we have all the letters and package in the cardboard for very easy install with no hunting for letters - makes quick work on site. These are for VHB backed letters.

litewave

Smart approach if you have a laser.
Of course a plotter is going to be a good 1st investment especially if it has a pouncing wheel and/or the process is automated so pouncing not really needed just to align some letters.

A laser of appropriate power can of course do this job start to finish and I do like the cardboard tip!

Billct2

I usually use the 1" bottom and/or top tape. Or a pen pettern and slice out the middle. I've had a few pounce patterns that were pain to clean up so stopped using them.