• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just In NY goes back in time with revival of hand-painted ads

ThinkRight

NY goes back in time with revival of hand-painted ads
New York (AFP) - Once outdated relics in a digital world, painted advertisements are flourishing once again in New York, putting a dose of hip attitude into 21st century commercial art in the city that never sleeps.

Toiling under the blazing sun of a heat wave, Justin Odaffer puts the finishing touches to a Ray-Ban ad he has spent several days painting on the facade of an East Village building in downtown Manhattan.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

You have such a dire lack of replies or comments on this thread because this site is overwhelmingly populated with people who have no clue how to do this type of work. If signs101 had been around online around the late 70's (if there had been internet and no vinyl computers) this thread would run dozens of pages with sign painters telling their stories of jobs like this they did. I trained with a few of those guys. One of them showed me a picture of him painting up the side of a high rise building in Chicago. The pic was of a plane flying below the altitude he was working at. He never used a back brace on his scaffold either as a matter of immense bragging rights. That was standing on a roughly foot wide plank! Of course there was the tired story of a wall sign so big it took a gallon of paint to dot an i. Probably not far from the realm of possibility. It was a life experience sadly most of you will never know in your air conditioned offices staring at computer screens. Glad I was there.