• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Odd overlam issue, 3M 8518

letterman7

Squad cars, two separate decals, printed at the same time. Printed on 3M 680C and overlam with 8518 after waiting about 12 hours. One decal on a window is fine.. the other on the car body is starting to show the 'delamination' or 'moldy' look on the edges. And all the cars have it, just not this one, and they were all done at different times. I can't figure it.. the windows are fine, the car bodies are having issues. Anyone with even a guess?

Rick

Attachments

• 20190122_090842.jpg
    20190122_090842.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 348
  • 20190122_090848.jpg
    20190122_090848.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 326

CTWRAPS

From the pic it just looks like static drip on the right image. I don’t see anything at all on left. Maybe more pics?

letterman7

From the pic it just looks like static drip on the right image. I don’t see anything at all on left. Maybe more pics?
Image on the left is the decal on the window. No marks at all around the edge. The image on the right has these marks all around the edge - they are not drips. These have formed over time.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
On sensitive prints such as this, I would laminate 1/8" beyond the edge of the vinyl. Maybe go a 1/4" to play it safe. You're getting some sort of contamination in at the edge. It seems to happen as the thickness increases, which most reflective do.

We had half a fleet where something similar happened, but it was only on the top side of the print and the sides of crusiers. Not on the roof, trunk lid, but just sides at the top. Ended up being a huge salt pile they had nearby for winter snow. They were always bulldozing this stuff and the cars closest looked the worse. I took the heat for a while, until we made them keep the doors closed all the time. It was just airborne and lightly settling on the cars. Only ruining the reflective, nothing else.

letterman7

Maybe.. I just can't figure out why it's only happening on the prints that are on the body and not the glass. I would think that if it's a laminate failure as others have posted about the 8518 that it would have shown on everything that's been laminated and cut.

CTWRAPS

Maybe.. I just can't figure out why it's only happening on the prints that are on the body and not the glass. I would think that if it's a laminate failure as others have posted about the 8518 that it would have shown on everything that's been laminated and cut.
Could be because the body will retain more heat than glass