Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd Scam or lazy broker?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by JBurton, Nov 11, 2020.

1. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I get stuff like this about once a month. Anybody else?
    Odd thing is, my website/google page mentions nothing in the way of textiles or garment printing...

Name: carlos copper

Phone: (313) 306-1***

Email Address: carloscopper**@gmail.com

Subject: Order

I am Carlos Copper… l will like to order for 1000peices of blanks T-shirts. I will like to know if there is a surcharge on the use of Visa or Master Card.I will be waiting for a response as soon as possible.

Size:Adult Medium size
    Color: Black
    50/50% Cotton or 100 % cotton
    Brand:Gildan
    Quantity:250Pcs.

Size:Adult Large size
    Color: Black

Size:Adult Medium size
    Color: White
    Brand:Gillan

Size:Adult Large size
    Color: White

Let me know the total cost for the specified specs and quantity above including shipping cost within the states and sales tax included as well..

Regards,
    Carlos Copper

Tags:
  2. WYLDGFI

WYLDGFI Merchant Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Linden, NJ
    Looks like scam to me.

3. Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay?

Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay? Very Active Member

It's a scam. We get those emails at least once a month (and have for at least the last three years) for either screen printed or blank tees or banners in very large quantities.

Some things a lot of these scam emails seem to have in common...

*Improper English, as in "I will like to know".
    *Once you start seeing more of these coming through your email, you'll notice the format of the emails is almost always the same. Same verbiage, same structure and composition, etc., just a different email address.
    *These emails almost always ask for even quantities. It might be 1000, or it might be 700, but it's never 378, 457, 899, etc.
    *The scammer's names, at least as far as we have observed, are more often than not two first names. For example Paul Michael, or James William.
    *I've never seen one of these scam emails that didn't come from a Gmail address.

4. bigben

bigben Very Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    I never got an email like this. But I can't figure how they make money with a scam like that.

5. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Right away it sounds like a scam. No one ever asks about payment on the first email, usually that's something you gotta bring up

6. twmiller24

twmiller24 Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Canton MI USA
    They'll try to pay you a large amount by credit card, but ask you to use their shipping company, which usually requires a wire transfer. They'll add that cost to your quote, and pay immediately. Then you pay their shipping company, and they've got cold cash, while you get stuck with a charge back in a couple months (cause they're using a stolen credit card number).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  7. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    So I always imagine, what if the 'victim' were to take the CC transaction on an LLC or something, then shut down business without ever paying the shipping company. I suppose at best, the only folks losing money would be the credit card company, or worst case is they hunt you down and draw and quarter you...
    Once I was looking through the local university's open bids, spotted a bid for 1k or 10k shirts, then got the same email within a few days (only truly notable since the bid was for purple shirts and the request was as well). I figured if it was real, it was the laziest brooker trying to get some prices without even researching distributors.

8. Eforcer

Eforcer Sign Up!

Jul 12, 2019
    Throggs Neck, NY
    I love getting these. Since they have fake C.C.'s to provide for paying of services, we take the info and report the numbers in order to put a stop on the cards. If everyone does this, they will be happily disappointed.

This one caught me.

Good day,

My name is Harlan Hales. I would like to place an order on Vinyl banners.

size: 32" x 60" Finished
    Qty 100 13oz. scrim banner
    There should be 8 grommets 4 in the top and 4 in the bottom. Attached is the art work.
    Also let me know the form of Payment you Accept, as well as if I am making this order with the Manager or Owner.
    What's the eta on how long it will take to be ready once I make payment?
    I will be awaiting your response back the soonest.

I provided a cost of $70 per. he said ok without a fuss.

I am okay with the cost and would like to proceed. I want you to get the shipping price for the Order to San Juan so that you can add it to the total cost of the Order and I will call to make payment altogether. I want you to contact New Port Logistics regarding picking up the Order at your end.

Here's the shipping address #602 Avenida Barbosa 1st Floor, San Juan, 00917.

Here is their contact details

Forwarders Details:
    NEW PORT LOGISTICS CO.
    POC: John Mclaren
    E-mail: newportlogistics@tutamail.com
    Phone: (785) 505-7221

When we asked for credit card info. they never responded. I guess I've scammed them back before. : )