• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Office Phone vs Cell Phone

themadsigntist

We are a small shop but growing fast. We have been using our cell phones for a few years now and contemplating getting an office phone. Does anyone have only one or the other or both?

Nuagedesigns

Unfortunetly when I started my business I used my cell phone. Well everyone now knows that phone number so I Forward that cell phone to my land line at our shop everyday. We can not port over the number to a land line due to the 911 capabilities and area of the original phone number. We tried Vonage but the capabilities of their phones were limited. We have a nice PBX system installed with 10 handsets though out building that allow us to use as a paging system and quickly communicate with each other hands free. The only time I ever unforward the call is if we are for some reason away from the shop for a long period of time say vacations or emergencies and then we can screen calls and get back to our customers when possibble.

I did do some research on the differnt VOIP systems they just were not for us. Look into Vonyage business, Nextiva, or omma office if you are in the market for possibble VOIP.

Good Luck

AKProbeGT

We've always had a land line for the office. I can't imagine having customers call my cell constantly. I do give my cell when necessary but avoid it if at all possible. I like to go home at the end of the day and be left alone. We use Comcast for our phone and internet and both have been trouble free.

reQ

Land line for office. But will transfer calls when i am away. Other than that, i agree that i would not want people call me after i am done my workday

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have land lines at both locations. That's how we conduct business. Phone, fax, email and walk-in. My cell phone is for emergencies, personal use, or when I'm out in the field and need to make contact. There's always someone in the shop or in the office who can pick up a telephone.

If I want someone calling me at all hours on end, while I'm on the throne or late at night, I'd be in a different business. Heck, the telemarketers do a bang up job of that already. Those buggers are relentless. Don't need customers acting the same way.

Billct2

I would think if you were starting out now a business cell phone number that can be linked may be the way to go.

Pat Whatley

Maybe it's being in this business that's jaded me but given the option between using a company with a cell phone number and using one with a land line number the land line number is going to win every time.

A business with a cell phone number looks shady to me. I can't tell you how many contractors, roofer, lawn care people, heating and air people have brought back old signs to me to change their number. They run up a bunch of bills or have people calling them complaining all the time so they just change their cell phone number have effectively disappeared. At least with a land line number I have the belief that if it comes down to it I can drive by their office and put a foot in somebody's ***. A land line provides a sense of permanence. (Yes, I know Bob is gonna jump all over this but he grows horses in Colorado so you can't trust him)

Plus, I'm all about dropping off the planet when I'm not working. It's pretty routine for me to call my wife, tell her I'm heading home, then shut my phone off and forget about it until the next day. There's no SIGN EMERGENCY that can't wait until 8:00 am.

Techman

I have used nothing but a cell phone for the business for years.

Simply could not justify a real land line because of the cost when first opening and the constant barrage of spammers. Now see no need to have a land line.
What is nice .. the smart phone can go to sleep mode for any one not on the friends list.

TheSnowman

Landline all the way. Always had one, and as far as I'm concerned always will. I've had Vonage from the get go, and they have an option call Simulring. It rings my cell phone and my office phone at the same time, and whichever one I pick up first, gets the call. When I go on vacation I will generally shut that off, and my customers that I want to have my cell phone number, do have it, but generally, unless they're programmed into my cell and I know who it is, and they call after hours, it goes to voicemail.

It's mainly handy during the day if I have to step out, being a one man shop, if they call, I can still generally help them out, and they don't get my cell number. Drives me nuts when friends say "oh yea, call this guy he can help you" and they call my cell phone!

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We use RingCentral and like it pretty well. It used to be less than the phone company, but it's not really anymore. The service is pretty good. It can a full blown phone system with departments, hold, etc. We also have it ring to our cell phones so we don't miss a call if we can help it.

rjssigns

Cell phone only now. Land line is getting ditched in few months when the contract is up. We do the bulk of our business through email/website.

Drip Dry

Maybe it's being in this business that's jaded me but given the option between using a company with a cell phone number and using one with a land line number the land line number is going to win every time.

A business with a cell phone number looks shady to me. I can't tell you how many contractors, roofer, lawn care people, heating and air people have brought back old signs to me to change their number. They run up a bunch of bills or have people calling them complaining all the time so they just change their cell phone number have effectively disappeared. At least with a land line number I have the belief that if it comes down to it I can drive by their office and put a foot in somebody's ***. A land line provides a sense of permanence. (Yes, I know Bob is gonna jump all over this but he grows horses in Colorado so you can't trust him)

Plus, I'm all about dropping off the planet when I'm not working. It's pretty routine for me to call my wife, tell her I'm heading home, then shut my phone off and forget about it until the next day. There's no SIGN EMERGENCY that can't wait until 8:00 am.

This all the way... couldn't have said it better

Techman

cell phones are used so much today that I believe no on cares any more.

It goes along with the email. There seems to be no difference between Free emails like hot mail and a domain email.

I have used both for over 15 years and never saw a difference.

This is the same argument we had a few years ago over yellow pages. Some said they had to have a YP ad and many others said it was a rip off. Today very few use a YP ad.

I have a land line at home under contract. When that is up the land line wil probably go as well. All it gets is spam calls, hangup calls, that rachel skank and politicians.

rjssigns

cell phones are used so much today that I believe no on cares any more.

It goes along with the email. There seems to be no difference between Free emails like hot mail and a domain email.

I have used both for over 15 years and never saw a difference.

This is the same argument we had a few years ago over yellow pages. Some said they had to have a YP ad and many others said it was a rip off. Today very few use a YP ad.

I have a land line at home under contract. When that is up the land line wil probably go as well. All it gets is spam calls, hangup calls, that rachel skank and politicians.

Yup.

Cell phones are ubiquitous tech.

BTW: Cell phones have a cute little button that shuts them off.:Big Laugh

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I think size of company is the main consideration. When you hit a certain size, cell phones don't have the ability to do what a multi-line business phone can. Certain VOIP options are developing to help with this, but man ... there is a couple shops I do in house design work for that could do with a little land line option and less cell phone text orders ... it would improve efficiency about 30% if the owner wasn't juggling 3 cell phones or have people stopping what they are doing to track down the cell phone on some odd counter just to answer it and find someone else.

If you run a 2-3 man shop, cell phones are acceptable. I myself only run my cell from my shop, and use a VOIP for my shop phone number that goes straight to my cell. Right now I'm undergoing the switch to google voice since it's basically just a re-direct service with a custom voice mail that can be transcribed to my e-mail. After 5 years of a VOIP, sort of needing to make the switch when I'm getting about 20 calls a week looking for some dude who has given me his resume and disappeared after I told him I'm just a one man shop ... or it's some hadji trying to sell me seo services and doesn't understand he can't do proper seo without having access to my website itself. Tired of it, google voice gives me a free # and can re-direct to any number of phone services at the same time as well as set up specific call lists so if it's multiple people that use that voice line to take calls ... if you set up a specific caller to a specific person, it will direct straight to them and only them. ... and I can block numbers. Kind of cool.

Considering a good half of my business is all e-mail related and the other half is face to face sales ... the only time I get calls is just people checking on orders or looking for directions and/or to to schedule an appointment.

Jillbeans

I had a land line for the first 25 years here. It was nice because you got a free local YP listing too. I always thought a land line looked better to a client than a cell phone, but now everyone uses their cell, so I think that's a moot point.

My house is for sale and I disconnected the land line last June (albeit a little too early) I only use email now because I absolutely hate talking to people on the phone. A few "friends" have given out my private cell number to customers!

I would simply get another phone added onto your mobile account, and keep that just for personal use. Let your existing phone number be your shop number.
Love....jill

Techman

[QUOTEget another phone added onto your mobile account,][/QUOTE]
Perfect idea.. and it is cheaper than a land line as well.
Free hand set plus a half price extra line.