• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oh boy! I get to do some research tonite on a new cutter.

threeputt

Our little HS-15plus is wearing out. Not quite closing all the cuts and also beeping for some reason when files are sent.

So....tonite I'm reading up on three machines.

The Graftec FC series, the Roland Camm-1 series, and the Summa S Class cutters.

I need something in the range of 24", but 30" would work also.

My supplier is dealer for these three so that's why I'm sort of limiting the search to those.

From what I hear the Graftec has the edge in two areas. Tracking and also being able to separate decals. (cut thru the backing)

TresL

Owned all 3, Summa hands down, then Roland. I will NEVER own another Graphtec.

Graphtec = Worst service known to man!

Pat Whatley

Gotta recommend the Summa. They're rock solid little workhorses. Roland's aren't bad and we used the heck out of the ones we owned but switching to Summa was the smartest thing we ever did. If....and it's a big IF, you ever need service Summa tech support is almost instant and they actually know what they're talking about instead of sitting at a computer reading through troubleshooting questions.

CES020

We have a Graphtec and we bought an old Summa. I'd take the Summa any day of the week. Love that machine, even though it's the older model. Thing is built like a tank and the support has been superior to Graphtec.

We had plenty of Graphtec issues in the beginning, and the calls ALWAYS went the same way "It's your material". Didn't matter what material we used, Avery, Oracal, Trim, etc. All of it did the same thing.

On the other hand, called Summa when we purchased the old machine and planned on replacing some belts, etc. and the guy said "You don't need to do that. That model is solid and in all my time here, I've never seen anyone have to replace any of the parts your asking about. Start with the blade and the cable and if you have issues, call me back".

He was right. I just love that machine.

If I had to buy a plotter tomorrow, it would be a Summa.

qmr55

I have both a graphtec and a roland and both are very easy to use. Haven't had major problems with either of them. Never used a summa before.

If someone was to ask, I would recommend the graphtec and/or roland, which ever was the better deal at the time.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Never a problem w/my Graphtec FC series. Called support once when I set it up and the question was answered.

I believe Summa claims longer tracking...

Both are very good plotters.

nate

I will have four 54" Summa S Class T series cutters available to purchase in the next few weeks if you can hold on that long.

401Graphics

I have a FC and its fast! Never any issues.
Rolands are slow.
Summa i have never used, but they get a lot of votes on here, and they look sexy.

Bly

Another vote for Summa here.
Their free software lets you cut straight out of Illustrator too.

tomence

Summa is number one in my books. I have owned Roland, Graphtec CE and FC series and also a Vinyl Express which is rebranded Graphtec and nothing can touch Summa, best cutter i have ever owned. Once you load the vinyl like you should it tracks straight all 50 yards. Print and cut perfect. Also i have the lowest model that they sell which is the Summacut D series and it's perfect, now imagine what the higher end models can do.

TresL

One of the easiest way to decide. Call factory tech support to see how long it takes to get a person on the phone.

Summa - 3-5 Minutes
Roland - 3-5 Minutes
Graphtec - 3-5 DAYS to get a call back!!!!! YES DAYS!

Do a search on Graphtec reg marks on this site also.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Every brand has both horrorific and heroic anecdotes. They mean little.

Graphtec makes a fine machine as does Summa. I prefer the Graphtec drag knife to the Summa with the blade orientation mechanism. It's just something else to go wrong. Unless you're cutting Lilliputian letters, and if you are you might want to have your sanity checked, the plain old vanilla drag knife serves.

Go for the simplest solution that does the job.

David Wright

Every brand has both horrorific and heroic anecdotes. They mean little.

Graphtec makes a fine machine as does Summa. I prefer the Graphtec drag knife to the Summa with the blade orientation mechanism. It's just something else to go wrong. Unless you're cutting Lilliputian letters, and if you are you might want to have your sanity checked, the plain old vanilla drag knife serves.

Go for the simplest solution that does the job.

And something will go wrong. My Summa tangential head started having problems which I found out costs $1500 to replace. My old Summa D610 was drag knife only and I got along just fine with that.