Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OKI Colorpainter M-64s-Print Splotching-Streaks

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by Cmiller01, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Cmiller01

Cmiller01 Printer

Jun 6, 2011
    Allentown, PA
    Hi Everyone,
    We have a Oki Colorpainter M64s and are trying some new materials out on it. We had someone come in a custom profile our machine for 3M SV480mc material. We have a client that prints alot of medium and light grays. We are getting a ton of splotching and what looks like pink and greenish looking streaks through the solid colors. These are vertical and horizontal. I have tried uni directional (helped somewhat), lowered heat (made it worse), raised heat, doing alignments on the machine etc. I have also tried a stock glossy 1 profile that came with the machine and the same problem. We always have trouble printing on glossy material but the streaking is affecting 2 medias and one of which we print on all the time and is matte. (Avery 2923) . Both medias were custom profiled for us. Has anyone seen this issue in solid colors? The darker colors seem to be helped by the uni directional, but not the gray. We have ran over 10 rolls of the material through the machine,- the issues were barely passable- but we would like to eliminate the issue this time around for the next 4 jobs.

Operating temp in the room is about 70 degrees and about 45% humidity right now. We live in PA so it is cold and dry here right now but we were having this issue already in early November when we ran the last job.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. StarSign

StarSign Active Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Southern Utah
    turn on your gutters and see if that helps the print

3. Cmiller01

Cmiller01 Printer

Jun 6, 2011
    Allentown, PA
    Colorstripe and gutters are always on. The issue does not even show up on the color stripe.

4. EF ITALY

EF ITALY New Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Rome
    Hi, that looks very similar to our problem, especially with blue sky printing. See pics. After one year and a cyan printhead replaced, nothing changed. I'm going to be quite fed up with it...

Attached Files:

5. Cmiller01

Cmiller01 Printer

Jun 6, 2011
    Allentown, PA
    What have you tried so far besides the print heads? We are working with a technician about this currently. Im going to try the material on the Mimaki we have just for shits and giggles. It seems to happen in alot of my lighter pastel colors. Ill let you know if we find something but right now its looking bleak.

6. EF ITALY

EF ITALY New Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Rome
    Ok I'll keep you informed as well.

7. Skinner

Skinner New Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Hattiesburg MS
    This is odd. I feel somewhat better after reading these posts. We get terrific prints on every material we print on except 3m SV480mc. We have the exact same issue. The prints start out great, and then you can see slight banding. Followed by the mysterious white blotch. It shows up mostly in black and blue. I will keep you posted if I find an answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Kumo

Kumo New Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Sydney, Australia
    The pink or greenish print is usually heat related, not enough heat to the media. Will printing on glossy media with stock glossy profile have better output, if so, the created profile was not done right. What print mode are you using? Can you show nozzle print? Is the heater and feed priority set to panel?
    is the carriage ht set to normal?

9. ewded

ewded Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Europe
    Are your heaters actually working - I mean if you put your hands on the heater it is on? Set the density a bit higher, try a different profile. Make sure the media is on room temperature for 48h before printing, make sure the room is clean and aired - believe it or not even perfume or deodorant vapor can ruin the surface of the media. If nothing helps you should check feed motor or feed encoder on the machine (not sure if it's built in the motor or separate). Print a 30cm square (11.81") three times, see if the pattern is the same on all squares - this is a full rotation of the motor if the patters are the same you can be sure the encoder is dirty or misaligned.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  10. notsookidokicolorpainter

notsookidokicolorpainter New Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Netherlands
    We have the same problem over here. Usually in red of black.
    Strange thing is we use a lot of different media and we have no problems with vinyls but
    Paper ( blueback and heavy art paper from different manufacturers) and Polypropolee(pp)
    Always give problems. Unidirectional printing at low heater temps give beter results but stil the areas with low ink like the pictures above are visible. I have had 4 sets of profiles of all my media and none have solved this issue.
    It makes it a very expensive machine to run with all the ruined print it produces.
    I’d be very interested in a solution for this problem.......and it seems alot of people have it!!

11. jimmeth411

jimmeth411 Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Redding, CT
    So has anyone found a solution to this issue? We are having problems with our Seiko, banding halfway through a 100" print, adjusting the feed motors between every print to try and eliminate problems. Any info would be helpful.