• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

OKI Colorpainter M-64s-Print Splotching-Streaks

Cmiller01

Printer
Hi Everyone,
We have a Oki Colorpainter M64s and are trying some new materials out on it. We had someone come in a custom profile our machine for 3M SV480mc material. We have a client that prints alot of medium and light grays. We are getting a ton of splotching and what looks like pink and greenish looking streaks through the solid colors. These are vertical and horizontal. I have tried uni directional (helped somewhat), lowered heat (made it worse), raised heat, doing alignments on the machine etc. I have also tried a stock glossy 1 profile that came with the machine and the same problem. We always have trouble printing on glossy material but the streaking is affecting 2 medias and one of which we print on all the time and is matte. (Avery 2923) . Both medias were custom profiled for us. Has anyone seen this issue in solid colors? The darker colors seem to be helped by the uni directional, but not the gray. We have ran over 10 rolls of the material through the machine,- the issues were barely passable- but we would like to eliminate the issue this time around for the next 4 jobs.

Operating temp in the room is about 70 degrees and about 45% humidity right now. We live in PA so it is cold and dry here right now but we were having this issue already in early November when we ran the last job.

Attachments

• 20171221_080558.jpg
    20171221_080558.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 729
  • 20171221_080611.jpg
    20171221_080611.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 582
  • 20171221_080621.jpg
    20171221_080621.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 527
  • 20171221_080635.jpg
    20171221_080635.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 553
  • 20171221_080652.jpg
    20171221_080652.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 819

EF ITALY

Hi, that looks very similar to our problem, especially with blue sky printing. See pics. After one year and a cyan printhead replaced, nothing changed. I'm going to be quite fed up with it...

Attachments

• IMG_8616.JPG
    IMG_8616.JPG
    867.8 KB · Views: 725
  • IMG_8618.JPG
    IMG_8618.JPG
    764.1 KB · Views: 558

Cmiller01

Printer
Hi, that looks very similar to our problem, especially with blue sky printing. See pics. After one year and a cyan printhead replaced, nothing changed. I'm going to be quite fed up with it...

What have you tried so far besides the print heads? We are working with a technician about this currently. Im going to try the material on the Mimaki we have just for shits and giggles. It seems to happen in alot of my lighter pastel colors. Ill let you know if we find something but right now its looking bleak.

EF ITALY

What have you tried so far besides the print heads? We are working with a technician about this currently. Im going to try the material on the Mimaki we have just for shits and giggles. It seems to happen in alot of my lighter pastel colors. Ill let you know if we find something but right now its looking bleak.
Ok I'll keep you informed as well.

Skinner

This is odd. I feel somewhat better after reading these posts. We get terrific prints on every material we print on except 3m SV480mc. We have the exact same issue. The prints start out great, and then you can see slight banding. Followed by the mysterious white blotch. It shows up mostly in black and blue. I will keep you posted if I find an answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kumo

The pink or greenish print is usually heat related, not enough heat to the media. Will printing on glossy media with stock glossy profile have better output, if so, the created profile was not done right. What print mode are you using? Can you show nozzle print? Is the heater and feed priority set to panel?
is the carriage ht set to normal?

Are your heaters actually working - I mean if you put your hands on the heater it is on? Set the density a bit higher, try a different profile. Make sure the media is on room temperature for 48h before printing, make sure the room is clean and aired - believe it or not even perfume or deodorant vapor can ruin the surface of the media. If nothing helps you should check feed motor or feed encoder on the machine (not sure if it's built in the motor or separate). Print a 30cm square (11.81") three times, see if the pattern is the same on all squares - this is a full rotation of the motor if the patters are the same you can be sure the encoder is dirty or misaligned.

Last edited:
We have the same problem over here. Usually in red of black.
Strange thing is we use a lot of different media and we have no problems with vinyls but
Paper ( blueback and heavy art paper from different manufacturers) and Polypropolee(pp)
Always give problems. Unidirectional printing at low heater temps give beter results but stil the areas with low ink like the pictures above are visible. I have had 4 sets of profiles of all my media and none have solved this issue.
It makes it a very expensive machine to run with all the ruined print it produces.
I’d be very interested in a solution for this problem.......and it seems alot of people have it!!

jimmeth411

So has anyone found a solution to this issue? We are having problems with our Seiko, banding halfway through a 100" print, adjusting the feed motors between every print to try and eliminate problems. Any info would be helpful.