• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

OKI E64 or M64 to replace JV300 160

Gary Wiant

I've owned 3 Mimaki's jv3, jv33 & JV300 and I've been very happy with all of them but it is time to buy a new printer and I was impressed by an oki M64 at a dealer show but they are all nice at shows. does anyone have experience comparing either Oki to the Mimaki JV300?

Gary Wiant

Big fish- thank you. I was concerned about that because we have or JV 300 set up with 8 colors including orange & it prints amazing colors.

CL - thank you, what is finicky about them?

Do either of you cut with a Summa? That's my only down side with the Mimaki, rasterlinkwont print Opos & Summa wont read type 1 or type 2 registration Mark's & it's a hassle jumping around.
I'm currently using Signlab to print & cut.

DTP2

Same here. Worked with MANY printers over the years and I really love OKI's since when they were still Seiko's. They need a little tender love and care, but when you treat them well, they will make you loads of money.

DTP2

I have about 25 years of experience in this industry including being the third company ever buying the first model Latex printer. After that, I have worked for the world's largest, independent profiling and testing lab and can personally operate over 40 printer models.

While working as sign maker and buying the HP Latex L65500, we had quite some "challenges" with this new technology and took HP quite some months to get it right. We had some big jobs heavily depending upon our printer and we had to buy another printer to fix the gap left by the Latex printer. We bought a Seiko H2 74S and this machine printed about 380,000 sq/ft in less than 2 years. I always felt their ink was slightly more "aggressive" to accommodate the higher printing speeds this machine had over every competitor back then in that segment. This meant that if you did NOT do your daily maintenance once or twice a day, the machine would easily get clogged nozzles. Which makes perfect sense with this volume, right?

So this machine LOVED to print a lot and as long as I maintained it well (including maintenance like changing cap heads, wiper blades and spitting pads) it never gave me any issues.

Today they have a broader range of inks and the slightly more aggressive inks seem to lose market due to the "green" issues they usually bring. So today they might have inks as well that are slightly more forgiving.

In my opinion, only buy a solvent-based machine if you are printing every day and if you are willing to treat them well. If you do both, they will last very long and should not cause too many issues.

Gary Wiant

DTP2 I started my sign shop over 24 years ago & I've been through some of the growing pains as well. Our first inkjet was an Encad Chroma 24 & we have moved on from there using some less than perfect machines including the Fargo 310s & the Gerber Jetster. We have been running one Mimaki or another for the past 11 or 12 years and the JV3 JV33 & JV300 all used SS / SS21 solvent inks, so we know about maintenance &keeping the heads clean(ish). We print at least a little 4 to 5 days a week, but if the Oki needs to run more than that or requires much more maintenance than the Mimaki's maybe the M64 isnt the machine we should be looking at.

What advantages goes the M64 have over the E64 other than print speed? Do they both have the same maintenance needs?

C5 Service&Repair

The M is a great machine. Oki printers do require a bit more maintenance than Mimakis, but the prints are gorgeous. The heads are more robust, the take up is a smart take up that will reverse automatically, etc.
The Mimaki is a good machine too. If print/cut on one machine is important (decals/stickers), than the CJV might be a better choice. Wraps, posters, printing only, the M is a beast.