• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Older Gerber Edge - any life left in it?

outacontrol41

I bought a Gerber Edge Classic some years ago with the intent to put it to work. Not long after, I bought a Gerber Edge 2 and started using that which turned out to be a fine running machine. I want to sell the classic. I did a test print and it appears to have 2 rows of pixels missing (or blown). After some scrubbing and cleaning of the print head the two rows of missing pixels are coming back in and out randomly...see photo.
My question is this, are these missing rows of pixels permanent or can I soak the head in alcohol like I did when I cleaned it to get the result from the second print...and possibly bring the head back to full working order? Is the head just clogged and needs a deep cleaning? Not spending for a new head as this printer is so old and no longer supported. Looking for the Edge owner that successfully cleaned his/her print head and had a good day afterward.

Attachments

• IMG_3012.JPG
    IMG_3012.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 308
  • IMG_3013.JPG
    IMG_3013.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 268

Billct2

Never heard of some one reviving a Gerber printhead...be interesting to see if anyone had any luck.

FunkotronXL

Does the print come off with scotch tape or application tape on the section the print where it "fixed itself"?

Normally getting a line back by cleaning is from removing accumulated buildup on the printhead that was blocking energy transference. Some third party foil liners will leave a residue on the printhead, especially if the settings were too hot.

Print lines that fail are usually due to conductivity issues or damage to the ceramic face coating on the printhead. Once a line fails it rarely fixes. Maybe you have a few loose connections up top?

outacontrol41

I have not tried to lift the print color off with tape, I'll give it a try. I have all but given up on it at this point...considering how old the machine is.