• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ole Skool Vs New School

graphics guru

so im still rockin flexi 8.1 and PS CS2....no real issues other than just need ing some more space to save files..
i still operate on XP...and i know it aint "technically supported" anymore ( very cleaver)...
but i hace heard various inputs that that both programs i have will work if i go up to WIndows 7 and use a compatibility option?...i only cut from the software...i send all my full color over to my buddys shop for output after i draw them...so no real need for print output etc...
Anybody got any input...just trying to save having to go thru the Microsoft mafia and then have to by all new flexi, PS, new cutter et etc...going on 20years strong going this route BTW

WildWestDesigns

so im still rockin flexi 8.1 and PS CS2....no real issues other than just need ing some more space to save files..
i still operate on XP...and i know it aint "technically supported" anymore ( very cleaver)...
but i hace heard various inputs that that both programs i have will work if i go up to WIndows 7 and use a compatibility option?...i only cut from the software...i send all my full color over to my buddys shop for output after i draw them...so no real need for print output etc...
Anybody got any input...just trying to save having to go thru the Microsoft mafia and then have to by all new flexi, PS, new cutter et etc...going on 20years strong going this route BTW

I still run Win 98 programs and it hasn't been supported for more then a decade.

If you are able to run things through a VM of XP (if you are able to get Win 7 Pro that is/was a free option using Virtual PC) and run your programs through that. Or if you have an install disc of XP, valid serial number etc, you could run your own using VirtualBox (cross platform), and/or VMWare (also cross platform). There are others, but some depend on what platform the host machine is or you have to compile from source.

Just need to make sure you get a computer that can handle the demands of running things through a VM. If you are using a RIP in a VM, probably would want to go extreme overkill. Running programs through a VM is a lot different then on bare metal. I can do 3D rendering, video editing and pretty demanding gaming through a VM, but I would suggest going all out on the hardware as most of that isn't suggested for normal VM use in most cases.

graphics guru

im a little dense on the technical side of the inner workings of computers and how they converse with certain programs etc...the graphics side is my game...i guess your meaning Virtual Mewmory?...i have always just had a buddy of mines computer shop build my computer to whatever i needed...so basically whatever it told him is what i got ...guess thats why i cant wrap my head around why he couldnt just build me another one that does XP...heck i still have a unopened load disk for XP with valid serial number etc...
seems everything is going to cloud format...and i donr even have the graphics computer hooked to the internet for obvious reasons of virus etc...but know sound like i may need to think on that to..there has to be away to circumvent "the man":mad:

WildWestDesigns

im a little dense on the technical side of the inner workings of computers and how they converse with certain programs etc...the graphics side is my game...i guess your meaning Virtual Mewmory?...i have always just had a buddy of mines computer shop build my computer to whatever i needed...so basically whatever it told him is what i got ...guess thats why i cant wrap my head around why he couldnt just build me another one that does XP...heck i still have a unopened load disk for XP with valid serial number etc...
seems everything is going to cloud format...and i donr even have the graphics computer hooked to the internet for obvious reasons of virus etc...but know sound like i may need to think on that to..there has to be away to circumvent "the man":mad:

No, in this case, I'm talking about Virtual Machine. A computer within a computer in other words.

The reason that I speculate as to why he can't just build you another one is that there are no drivers to support XP anymore for newer hardware and programs aren't going to be written for XP anymore.

This is really just to keep the programs that you have on running. Sometimes this is due to programs no longer being available, especially on newer hardware.